1.4TSI 150 oil choice

Liquid Tension

Feb 2, 2016
Hi guys,

I'm a little stumped over what oil I should be putting in my 150 TSI?

Won't be doing loads of miles so probably going to service yearly

Thanks

Liquid Tension

Feb 2, 2016
It's not been in for a service yet. It's a 16 plate but nothing that I can see specifies what it left the factory with.

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Dealer used 5w-40 in mine at the last service. I am on interval servicing so yearly or 10k miles.

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
It's not been in for a service yet. It's a 16 plate but nothing that I can see specifies what it left the factory with.

They all leave with oil that conforms to the LongLife (Flexible) Service intervals. That's VW504:00 spec for a 1.4TSI, namely a good quality fully synthetic oil 5W-30.

I buy mine from my local VW dealer, and this is what they use. Quantum LongLife3 5W-30 and it's only £25 for 5 litres delivered which is very reasonable.

Last edited:

Liquid Tension

Feb 2, 2016
So the car leaves the factory with 5W-30 but if I'm going to run her on a fixed service interval I can use 5W-40?

Oceansplasher

Mar 1, 2016
Thanks to OP for another very interesting question that I have been wondering about myself. Thanks for replies so far, But I am still unsure which oil to buy and which volume for topping up between services, as my 1.4TSI has just had its first service.

So do I buy - Castrol EDGE Engine Oil 5W-30 4L or Castrol EDGE 5W-30 LL Engine Oil 4L and in 1L or 4L?

And the LL appears to be Titanium FST, so are they both okay? One is more expensive than the other but which one? My car is an Leon FR if that makes a difference. Please help.

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
I'd say 1L will be enough to keep if it's only for top ups. I havnt had to top mine up between services at all and mines a 2013 car!

If your unsure, use halfords or opie oils site so you can select the car / engine and it will tell you what works.

ChrisG

Apr 22, 2002
Hants
We bought a 1.4 TSI Leon a year ago, I left it on longlife servicing even though we only do ~10k a year as I'm doing an interim oil change myself using long life oil. That way it cuts down on the cost/number of visits to the dealers, ensures it has an oil change every ~10k miles and with the higher quality long life oil.

I've only done one oil change on it so far but used Mobil 1 ESP 5w30, about £30 for 5 litres from Opie Oils if you use a forum discount code (most car forums have one, no doubt we do here but if not just google for one).
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-6362-mobil-1-esp-5w-30-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

One thing I'd say though if changing yourself, make sure you have a good funnel or oil pourer. The filler cap on the 1.4 TSI engine is the worst I've ever come across, canted over at an angle, nothing to catch oil if it dribbles and worst of all it seems to have some internal baffling around the filler cap so you can only pour it in at snails pace. :banghead2

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
, ensures it has an oil change every ~10k miles and with the higher quality long life oil.

The dealers use the same oil regardless of service intervals, and use the cheapest oil they can get their hands on, normally Mobil, Castrol or Quantrum..

Stegor

Jul 17, 2011
The dealers use the same oil regardless of service intervals, and use the cheapest oil they can get their hands on, normally Mobil, Castrol or Quantrum..

Do you know this to be true? The manual states you must use 504.00 for long service intervals but you can use 502.00 for normal service intervals so I would say the dealers would use both.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Do you know this to be true? The manual states you must use 504.00 for long service intervals but you can use 502.00 for normal service intervals so I would say the dealers would use both.

Yep I'd agree with what GP said, most dealers, even ones for high end cars will have one type in 205 ltr drums of the cheapest they can get away with ( they don't want lots of drums of different oil taking up space.

If your doing an oil change your self, and only doing low miles, why use long life, it has loads of stuff in it to make the oil last along time and prevent acid build up etc between long service intervals, you don't need that -more additives mean less room for base stock etc ie the stuff that does the lubricating -, so just use a non long life normal high quality engine oil

ChrisG

Apr 22, 2002
Hants
Can't see it myself, main dealers stock various different spec oils for different engines anyway and given 502.00 is also cheaper to buy in bulk, I very much doubt they'll use something that was over-spec for a fixed service if there's money to be saved, even if it did save them a tiny bit of space.

Not sure about SEAT fixed/variable pricing yet but a couple of months back I had to service my S4, and as it was the first service I'd had done since buying I wasn't sure if it was on fixed or variable so got prices for both from the Audi dealer with a breakdown of the oil cost as I usually supply my own. The dealer quoted two significantly different prices for the variable long life oil and the oil they'd supply with the fixed price service (about £50 difference for ~7L), so either they do actually provide the right spec oil for the relevant service or they're blatantly conning people which I find hard to believe.

Reactions: Jack2

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
or they're blatantly conning people which I find hard to believe.

You would like to think they wouldn't :(
Those honest German folk at VAG would never try to con anyone, we'll maybe just a few million people and several government's

Emmisions scandal anyone :whistle:

ChrisG

Apr 22, 2002
Hants
Not really the same thing is it, and dealers are obviously completely separate business entities anyway.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Not really the same thing is it, and dealers are obviously completely separate business entities anyway.

My comment was tongue in cheek :)
But there are plenty of unscrupulous dealers though as we have heard about on this very forum.
Your right though, some dealers and independents are very good and will have a selection of oils and use the correct oils to suit the vehicle they are working on
Sadly though there are quite a few dealers and independents who will have one big drum in the corner of the workshop and use in what ever comes through the door :(

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.