1.4tsi vs 1.5tsi

Feb 22, 2023
Hi all,

So I recently test drove a 1.5tsi (130) but didn't think to change the drive mode so only got to experience it in it's default mode. I thought the car pulled ok but maybe wasn't a huge leap over my current Mk2 Focus 1.6 as the throttle seemed a little slower to respond. I figure maybe it was in eco/standard mode and it would sharpen up if I changed the driving mode?

That said, after my test drive I fell upon discussions about the 1.5tsi having kangarooing problems. I don't think the car I test drove did that but also the car was likely warmed up before I arrived and I wasn't on the lookout for it so any difference in the drive I put down to it just being a different car to what I'm used to for now. Anyway, I then started to think the 1.4tsi might be the safer bet, but then I see some recent posts on this site about the 1.4tsi juddering when pulling away also. So I have a few questions rattling around my head:

Do both the 130 and 150 1.5tsi (manual) suffer from the kangarooing effect?​
Most posts about the kangarooing seem to be from around 2018-2020, is this still an issue on engines manufactured in that timeframe or is VWs fix working to fix it on those cars?​
Is the 1.4tsi (125 or 150) a better engine that doesn't typically suffer this problem?​
Any input appreciated. Many thanks,
Jamins

SamuelDonuts

Jan 6, 2017
Midlands
My other half has a 2017 1.4 150. Cracking little engine, no judders. Pulls better than you'd think and does a solid 50MPG on a run.

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
In 2019 I was looking for a 2018 Golf GT with the 1.5TSi (150) engine. I drove 3 & all suffered from hesitation when cold.

I realised the same age Leon FR still used the 1.4TSI (150) engine. Drove 2 of them & the engine was so much better than the Golf.

Bought a Leon, saved myself over £4k & (apart from the seats) got a higher spec - LED headlights & climate control, etc. Almost 3 years on & I have never regretted my decision.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise