1.6 tdi mpg = rubbish!!

trebor737

I have now decided not to worry bout the figures, I am getting just over 50 mpg! Which isnt bad but don't care cos the car is so much fun to drive!

BaldyDave

Mildly Deranged...
Aug 12, 2011
Central Belt Scotland
My main drive is 70 miles where the last 15 is country roads and the rest mway(mostly at a slighty enthusiastic speed) and have still managed 55mpg average in a 2.0 fr. How is it a smaller engine capacity could be worse?

Yeah it's a bit of a puzzle... The bigger engine may be trying less-hard than the 1.6, but all the same I'd expect the 1.6 to be more economical. I am wondering if it's the ECU mapping that's at fault. At my work, 2 of the guys have Golf Bluemotions which use the same engine as the Ibiza 1.6TDI. Both of them are averaging fuel consumption in the high 50s. You wouldn't expect that, especially as the Golf is larger and heavier...

Ony other things that might partly account for the difference night be a more restrictive exhaust or poor induction which might be hampering engine efficiency...

Last edited:

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
I did 596 miles this weekend, mainly motorway driving but it did include a trip into Central London (never good for economy). My overall consumption was 68mpg and the whole trip was done on one tank of fuel, with a little left over.

There are those who would argue on a mainly motorway run the consumption should be better, possibly they have a point. BUT for just normal driving at normal speeds I think that isn't bad. I am happy with it anyway.......lol

BaldyDave

Mildly Deranged...
Aug 12, 2011
Central Belt Scotland
I did 596 miles this weekend, mainly motorway driving but it did include a trip into Central London (never good for economy). My overall consumption was 68mpg and the whole trip was done on one tank of fuel, with a little left over.

There are those who would argue on a mainly motorway run the consumption should be better, possibly they have a point. BUT for just normal driving at normal speeds I think that isn't bad. I am happy with it anyway.......lol

That's darn good economy! Respect! Especially if you have a 1.6 TDI lump in your Ibiza! LOL

Most 1.6 TDI users seem to get average fuel consumption anywhere between the low 40s to low 50s. Never seen anyone get close to the manufacturer's claimed MPG in real life driving.

I know you said it was mostly motorway driving, but were you travelling at the speed limit or going slower?

Feb 8, 2011
That's darn good economy! Respect! Especially if you have a 1.6 TDI lump in your Ibiza! LOL

Most 1.6 TDI users seem to get average fuel consumption anywhere between the low 40s to low 50s. Never seen anyone get close to the manufacturer's claimed MPG in real life driving.
That's why I'm convinced that with this 1.6 TDI there are gooduns and baduns. We always used to say it all depends on driving style but the differences are so huge that I just don't believe it in this case.

BaldyDave

Mildly Deranged...
Aug 12, 2011
Central Belt Scotland
That's why I'm convinced that with this 1.6 TDI there are gooduns and baduns. We always used to say it all depends on driving style but the differences are so huge that I just don't believe it in this case.

Yeah good point and well made... On second thoughts, the large variance in MPG between identical models also blows apart my thoughts that the ECU or induction/exhaust are a significant factor... Tollerance variances within these units I seriously doubt would explain the large economy differences.

Another thought - could it be that this engine is super-sensitive to driving style and road conditions???

I guess you cound enter into the conspiracy theory that SEAT gets second-rate engines that VW themselves wouldn't use, but I don't think that'd be the case...

It's a real puzzle... :shrug:

One thing seems to be clear, there's something very strange going on with SEAT's 1.6 TDI engines...

The only people that stand a chance of knowing the real story are SEAT themselves...

Apr 23, 2010
Here
Weather will have an impact, warm weather will give better mpg and cold gives better performance.

Best thing to do is follow Biker everywhere and you'll be laughing :cartman:

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
I know you said it was mostly motorway driving, but were you travelling at the speed limit or going slower?

Between 60 and 70mph for most of the journey. I tend to sit in the middle lane and just go with the flow and try to avoid hard accelerating if possible.

I do this journey fairly regularly and the best I have seen is 73mpg overall, but that was sitting at about 60mph (boring)
The worst I have done is 56mpg, but that was pushing the boundries of what is legal and got us home about one and a half hours quicker than normal.... lol

BaldyDave

Mildly Deranged...
Aug 12, 2011
Central Belt Scotland
Between 60 and 70mph for most of the journey. I tend to sit in the middle lane and just go with the flow and try to avoid hard accelerating if possible.

I do this journey fairly regularly and the best I have seen is 73mpg overall, but that was sitting at about 60mph (boring)
The worst I have done is 56mpg, but that was pushing the boundries of what is legal and got us home about one and a half hours quicker than normal.... lol

Fair play to you mate! You seem to have a particularly good example of the breed! :)

The more I think about the extremely wide differences in fuel economy between identical models the more it defys logic!

Glad the FR TDI engine isn't as enigmatic! lol

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
Fair play to you mate! You seem to have a particularly good example of the breed! :)

Agreed :p I can't complain about the economy of my 1.6 but that is what it was bought for.

Before the Ibiza I drove a Mk1 Leon Cupra R and struggled to get 20mpg out of that but my god was it fun. The first time I did the journey I mentioned above was in the Leon and I had to fill it up three times. It cost me nearly £200 pounds in petrol to do 600 miles and that was in late 2009.

THE GOOD OLD DAYS :p

Karnah

Sep 1, 2011
Suffolk
Not sure if it helps at all but for comparison my folks just took delivery of the new Peugeot 308 which is a 1.6 diesel with 92bhp.

They did a 900 mile round trip from the east coast to Wales (so lots of hills) and averaged 59mpg. The car hasn't been run in either.

Obviously I don't know how fast they went on the motorway but would guess somewhere around 60-70.

adamb87

cupra gone :(
Feb 13, 2011
Preston
It may be a 1.6 but the output is lower. The beezas are 105 so its not really a fair comparison. Still though thats some good mileage !! :D

Peapod

My 1.6 TDI has now done 8000 miles so I would say that it is run in. My daily commute of 25 miles each way is a mixture of motorway, residential streets and country roads. The car averages 63mpg and the best seen so far is 73mpg. Best ever is 76mpg on a gentle run around the M25.

No complaints here, but I sometimes do drive like Miss Daisy:bleh:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members