1.6 Tdi Noise from air vent when in reverse

harper2009

Feb 15, 2010
I dont know if anyone else has noticed this but when i select reverse it seems as if an extra fan comes on, its very noticeable as a passenger !! Could anybody suggest why this is ?:think:

slimbarry

Hands off!
Oct 29, 2004
Norf Essex
It could be automatically putting the air con on recirculation so the fumes you 'reverse over' don't get sucked in.

My passat does it but its not something listed in the manual, it also does it when you use the windscreen washer squirty so you don't smell it. The fan sound changes and sound slightly louder.

Hope this helps...:confused:

Hank

Sep 20, 2009
It could be automatically putting the air con on recirculation so the fumes you 'reverse over' don't get sucked in.

My passat does it but its not something listed in the manual, it also does it when you use the windscreen washer squirty so you don't smell it. The fan sound changes and sound slightly louder.

Hope this helps...:confused:

Yep that is correct.

harper2009

Feb 15, 2010
its very considerate of seat considering that i could smell the petrol whilst driving my Clio haha :happy:

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
it doesn't do it with the windscreen washer though I use halfords scented stuff so i quite look forward to cleaning the windscreen. mmmmm apple :)

harper2009

Feb 15, 2010
Tried the window washers on way back from work this morning and could smell the strong bitter smell of dealership windscreen fluid :lol: need to get some a that apple scented stuff:p

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Noticed that today, when I put on reverse the cars starts recirculating the air, also the recirculation fan in my case is very noisy, is yours noisy too? It's like it's touching something...

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The cabin fan, when the recirculating function is enabled, seems to be put under a heavier load, so maybe the bearing is a bit worn?

It should make the same noise if you select "recirculate" function.

One other thing, maybe scan the car and look at the recirc flap motor when selecting recirc as that motor might not be moving the flap(s) correctly and strangling the fans air flow? I think that the recirc flap motor moves two flaps and just the one as its description suggests.

PeterA

Oct 12, 2015
Also with manual heater if you turn the temp right down it automatically puts the recirculation on !

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Noise of the fan starts at 0:12.

The compressor noise is the one that appears just a little at 0:29

Anyone else experiencing this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfUkciFsWzk

Edit: I won't fix this because it's not enough to spend money as the AC works OK, just wanted to know if it's normal

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I did not hear anything nasty at all, not during the time the fan was speeding up/slowing down or the compressor noise after that - but that is not to say that you think it is okay. I'd guessing any reported Sanden compressors noises at engine idle and compressor not chilling the air will be a lot louder than that - maybe even "screeching" noises.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.