1.8 20v weird hoses

mmisch

Oct 22, 2022
The Netherlands
Hi everyone,

Proud owner of my first car, a Mk1 1.8 20v, also new here because I could use your help.

I already asked this on a dutch forum but maybe I'll get more help here.

There are a few hoses that looks like a bypass for something, but i want to make it like factory again, and maybe one of u knows why they did this.

From the T-splitter; goes up and follow the red higlighted hose, coming out just before the throttle body and a big hose.

20221021_123147.jpg

20221021_123013.jpg

20221021_123125.jpg

But also it goes to the right from the T splitter and that goes into a hose that connects to the brake booster. (Blue/cyan highlighted hose)

20221021_124345.jpg

Any idea why and what i have to do to fix this?

(I've been told it has something to do with vacuum hoses?)

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Looks like whoever did the first two jobs didn't have vacuum hose so used fuel hose instead. You can buy vacuum hose cheap, by the meter online. Get a couple of meters when you redo their work.

Last picture is the vac line for the brake booster, it does need to be there but it does look like it's been butchered abit.

mmisch

Oct 22, 2022
The Netherlands
I would love to redo the work, but I don't know where the tubes would go. I could make more pics behind the T splitter, little bit tight in there but I will try.

And what's butchered about the vac line for the brake booster? Maybe it will clear things up when i also make a pic of that hose where its connected to on the t splitter side

mmisch

Oct 22, 2022
The Netherlands
Well i took some pics but its really cramped up in there because its just behind the intake manifold. But i made a small mistake with the hoses.

The one from the brake booster is just normal, just like R3k said. But I think i kinda got the hose diagram;

From intake hose near throttle body (red hose, first post) goes to T-splitter, from t splitter goes in a big tube that goes inside the intake manifold. (Didn't noticed it untill i took a peak just now),

dotted line = behind the object

So now the question remains; why does it go from the intake hose, makes a detour, and goes back in the intake manifold? (And how to fix it ofcourse, because i dont want to have open holes when i remove the hoses)

20221022_133046.jpg

20221022_133353.jpg