1.8 tsi broken down AA thinks water pump

Funbobby

Mar 7, 2017
Car died this morning and was overheating but no obvious coolant loss , guy from AA reckons water pump and was towed to a nearby garage , so is this a big job on these? Am I right in thinking these are chain and not a belt?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I'd hazard a guess at £200-300 at an independent. That's assuming the overheating did no damage. Yeah, should be chain driven. How hot did it get for how long?

Funbobby

Mar 7, 2017
Quick update , turns out it’s the thermostat and housing that has failed but for another £80 or so will do water pump as well. Total cost £865 , spoke to seat uk as car has been serviced to schedule and done 40 k miles but they are not interested in helping, not impressed if I’m honest and 2 local dealers to me have been rubbish to boot

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Any independents close that can give you a quote? That sounds way too much.

Funbobby

Mar 7, 2017
that is with an indie as seat couldn’t fit me in for over a week which is another story ! Seat were quoting £500 odd for labour so much of a much by the sounds of it as parts around £300-£360 . Would have gone to seat in the first place where I got it from but there service dept is shocking

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members