1.9TDI battery fusebox

thequixotic2001

Nov 20, 2009
South Wales
This is actually a question for the Toledo 1.9 TDI but thought I would be more likely to get an answer here first.
Can anyone tell me what all the fuses are for on top of the battery, A diagram would be good if possible.
I bought the car two months back and have not used it as yet but while working on this and that I have noticed that one of the flat fuses must have blown in the past and has been replaced with a cut thin piece of mild steel :wtf:
The wire from this (Whatever it supplies) has started to melt because of the what now is probably a 200A home made fuse, It has also started to melt the fusebox a bit [:@]
I have done a search through the forum and thought I had found the problem when I read all the problems with the cooling fan fuse but from what I have read this fuse would be the blade fuse nearest the N/S wing, Is that correct ?.
The fuse that is the problem in my case is the flat one bolted in and from memory it is red with a white trace,.
I also need to know what amp this should be if possible and if anyone has any wiring info on what all these do then so much the better.
Can take a photo if needed, Thanks in advance.

Richard

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Which 1.9 TDI? 90, 110, 130, 150, 170??? I think they're all the same, but can't be sure.

The fuse values on my 51-plate Toledo TDI 110 SE, engine code ASV (and has aircon) read 100A, 100A, 40A, 50A left-to-right. Above and to the right of them are three plug-in blade fuses, all green 30A ones.

Pics:

Battery-top fusebox location
IMG_2006.jpg

Battery-top fuses, close-up
IMG_2010.jpg

Battery-top plugin fuses
IMG_2009.jpg

Fuse positions are labelled as follows in the electrical diagrams (standing in front of the car, going from left to right), first the flat screwdown metal strip fuses

Code:
S177	110A	Alternator
S176	110A	Interior
S164	40A	Radiator fan
S163	50A	Engine Glow Plugs
S162	50A	Coolant Glow Plug Heater

S162 is not present on my car: I think the coolant heater glow plugs are only fitted as part of the winter kit for cold-weather countries, along with heated washer jets and headlamp washers.

The plugin blade fuses are

Code:
S180	30A	Radiator Fan
S179	30A	ABS
S178	30A	ABS (pump)

Two fuses for the radiator fans is correct for cars with airconditioning. Without aircon you should only have the larger fuse, S164.

I'm sure I've seen other threads about water getting into this box and corroding the contacts, which leads to higher resistance, which generates heat as the current flows through, which eventually blows the fuse.

thequixotic2001

Nov 20, 2009
South Wales
Thanks Muttley, It is a 99/T reg 110, It looks like it the glow plugs one then, Is it main dealer only for these ?.
ime
I know it looks a lot dirtier than yours :whistle:, Not had the weather or time to do much cleaning yet.
I have sealed the leaking doors and dried the interior out though :)
BTW The wire I thought it was doen't have the white trace just solid red.
2010_01110003.jpg

Last edited:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
My car has a cover over the battery which stops water/salt/road dirt/pigeons/badgers and the like from getting to the fuse box or the battery terminals. I'm not sure if yours has one, it is slightly earlier than mine and there are a few differences. Your engine will be AHF wheras mine is ASV.

That is a very nasty bodge that you've inherited in place of the proper fuse.

Thats certainly the glowplug fuse that has gone, and from the look of the wire there is still corrosion there leading to higher resistance at the connection, which is why it's getting hot. The bits should be cleaned off to bright metal so that good contact is made.

It may be that the previous owner had a glowplug go short circuit, blowing the fuse, and didn't bother to replace it. Best to check the glow plugs.

Sealing the doors is well worthwhile, not a difficult job (in dry weather) and stops the doors freezing shut on days like these.

thequixotic2001

Nov 20, 2009
South Wales
My car has a cover over the battery which stops water/salt/road dirt/pigeons/badgers and the like from getting to the fuse box or the battery terminals. I'm not sure if yours has one, it is slightly earlier than mine and there are a few differences. Your engine will be AHF wheras mine is ASV.

That is a very nasty bodge that you've inherited in place of the proper fuse.

Thats certainly the glowplug fuse that has gone, and from the look of the wire there is still corrosion there leading to higher resistance at the connection, which is why it's getting hot. The bits should be cleaned off to bright metal so that good contact is made.

It may be that the previous owner had a glowplug go short circuit, blowing the fuse, and didn't bother to replace it. Best to check the glow plugs.

Sealing the doors is well worthwhile, not a difficult job (in dry weather) and stops the doors freezing shut on days like these.

No it hasn't got a battery cover and not sure if it ever did being an early model like you say.
Not using the car just yet so I will see to it asap, Just need to get some fuses.
Any chance you or anyone may know part numbers for the fuses, Got a VW dealer not to far away but not sure on a SEAT one.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
I've never had to replace one of these, and haven't ever seen one in Halfords. A big auto electrical dealer might have one, or at a main dealer ask for Golf Mk.4 parts, the Toledo/Leon is based on that platform.

thequixotic2001

Nov 20, 2009
South Wales
Priced the fuses from VW last week, £2:48 each but they didn't have then in stock, Went to GSF as I wanted them then, Not exactly the same but they fit and were only 36p each there.
Hope to sort it this week now weather permitting.
Thanks for the replies.

conbeattie

i have the same problem here with my alternator fuse has scortched what are the part numbers does anyone know

Jimmie

30amp - N 104 249 01
40amp - N 104 249 02
50amp - N 104 249 03
110amp - N 104 249 05

Fuse holder with wiring: 1J0 937 617 D

conbeattie

Cheers Buddy all sorted now tho, alternator and a dogbone fuse and sorted

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.