1.9TDi Stylance cambelt change

altea phil

Jan 25, 2009
West Yorks.
Just in the process of buying one of the above, so haven't got the owners manual (or car !!) yet, so I was wondering what the service interval is for the cambelt.
Is it 4 years or 40k miles, and how difficult are they to change ??

POB

Going nowhere slowly...
Feb 12, 2008
Newtownards, County Down
60k or 4 years whichever is sooner - obviuos in your case!! Buy the cam belt kit from seremotors (look him up on SCN) he is a seat franchised dealer and offers fantastic discount on genuine seat parts - you will not get a better deal trust me. When you have bought it from him get your local mechanic to fit for approx £100.00
I'm in the process of doing the same!
Good luck
POB

altea phil

Jan 25, 2009
West Yorks.
POB,
Thanks for the reply....I used to be a mechanic, in my dim-and-distant past, and although I still do a lot of routine servicing for friends, as a rule I don't touch timing belts.
However, as I am a tight git :D:D, I did change the one on my Octavia VRS a couple of years ago (you should have seen me sweating when it came to firing it up). So I was wondering how much of a job it is do myself, and whether I have to rigidly stick to 4 years. The car has only done 33k, so will it last another year or two, or are they prone to snapping ??

hanxslf

Altea 2.0 TDI Sport DSG 2005

Mine is going into a seat dealers (Penmans Darlington) for cambelt replacement, 4 yrs up not miles 37K. I'm also having the water pump changed, As some posts on this forum suggest these can fail around 60k or 40K at worst. So while it's in bits it's getting changed, for my peace of mind. I have only had car 6 months and will be keeping it for some time.

the price for all this work I have been quoted £329.69 all in

hope this helps you out

POB

Going nowhere slowly...
Feb 12, 2008
Newtownards, County Down
I couldn't live with myself if I attempted to change a belt and all the tensioners and it all went bang when i turned it over......Leave it to the pros and have piece of mind.
I swear by a quote called RTFI (read the ****in' instructions), however with this piece of kit I would plead illitracy!! Would strongly advise to change the water pump at the same time....£25.00
Good luck
POB

parkin21

Is it just the 2 litre TDi that is recommended to have the water pump replaced with the cam belt or does this apply to the 1.9TDi as well.

NorthernMonkey2

Altea Phil - made me laugh re your comment about sweating on fire up! I changed a cambelt once, I think it was a Peugeot 405 SRi I had at the time.

Building up to turning the key my emotions ranged from mild hysteria to cacking it. I looked like Herbert Lom in the Pink Panther films!

Turned out ok though....did you go for it in the end or bottle out?

altea phil

Jan 25, 2009
West Yorks.
Can anyone tell me how much of a job it is to do, and what special tools are required to do the job ??.. (it's the BJB engine).
I have the AUTODATA CD ROM, but it's from 2004 and doesn't cover my motor !!

NorthernMonkey2

Blimey - I tell you what if that is the offer I would definitely do the water pump at the same time - the cost of the pump will be what, £40 quid tops from main dealer?

That gets you fresh antifreeze too and a flush as they will have to drain the cooling system down to do the pump - well worth it for peace of mind.

I have often heard that it is often not the timing belt itself that snaps, it is more often an ancillary component that is run off the belt - eg the water pump.
I have known the pump bearings to break up, probably due to silting up and this causes the belt to slip off.

If anyone goes with this pls post how it went/cost/downtime - also if Seat main dealer or VW or independant?

Cheers chaps :D

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.