1.9Tdi Timing Belt Question

MOMO_330d

Jan 8, 2010
Hi Ladies and Gents!

We have a 2006 1.9Tdi Reference Leon.

Now im still quite new to the VAG diesels game so please accept my apologies for the "noob" question. lol. I've tried searching but either the posts seem a little unclear to me or they are talking about the later 2.0ltr Tdi engines so im not sure they apply to this car?

My question is - as mentioned before the car is a 2006 model Leon with now 60k on the clock. Is it now that I have to get the timing belt changed? Or is it like the latter 2.0ltr models where its 80k miles? Then again as its a 2006 so its 4 years old should I do it anyway?

If so, should we get it done from a dealer (quoted £350) or should a good indie be able to do it as i've seen the "belt kit" from ECP for approx £75 (ECP Part Number 348770765 - sorry can't post links until i've hit 15 posts! :p )

I thought if a kit is available then its maybe best to replace the whole thing for not much more?

Also - when we called the dealer to get a quote the guy from the service department said its not a timing belt - it's a 'cam' belt.. Is that correct?

Sorry for all the questions but your help will be greatly appreciated! :coolthumb

paulfs

Nov 10, 2009
New Forest, HANTS
Bud,

Don't muck about with the CAM / Timing Belt (both the same thing) - I had a '53 Leon 1.9 TDi, mine was changed at 80k (as per recommendations) but it failed on me just short of its 140k service - lost about £1500 on the part exchange deal I was just about to seal - typical.

Had mine done at a trusted independent who had serviced my car regularly (every 10k) from when i bought it at 26k, but my high mileage (& construction site abuse) must've done it in, I'm sure if it made the 140k service he would have recommended changing it.
Also, get them to do the associated gubbins that go with it (I think this was the pulley / tensioner assembly - don't quote me on that, but somebody will confirm).
My chap did mine with VAG Parts, did cost me about £300 all in.

Bite the bullet...

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
80k or four years so will be due this year anyhow if not already.

Might aswell do the kit so everything is changed, my advice is buy genuine.

MOMO_330d

Jan 8, 2010
Thanks for the replies guys!

I think we're going to get it done asap rather than risk pushing it to 80k..

Techie - you mentioned that we should buy genuine. Would it not be okay to get the kit from ECP? The part number I mentioned above is for a Continental belt which also includes a pulley.. I guess the belt will be ok but the pulley may not be OEM?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members