16v cuts out????

joey-gti

hi all, got a small prob with my 2.0 16v, she seems to cut out a lot, mostly just after starting up, wont start without giving her some revs and engine cuts out when for example... driving along, come to red light, foot of the gas to brake, revs drop and she cuts out....

im thinking coil pack... any thoughts?

jamie.

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
my 8v was doing this a while back.

I took the all the pipes off back to the throttle body and gave it good blast with carb cleaner...gave it a right good clean..also got the misses to rev it as i sprayed some down the TB too.

Gave everything a good clean and it seemed to clear up.

....take the panel filter out and give it a going over with a dust vac.....

joey-gti

all the vacuum hoses seem ok, it seems to not cut out after a few mins of driving, but the other night i had the sterio,light,wipers goin and just kept doin it....:think:

joey-gti

ok, so its not a 2.0, is a 1.8..
took all the spark plugs out and they wer in really tight and the plugs and lead ends wer covered in oil, cleaned everything up and put it all back, checked the dizzy cap and rotor arm and they both need changing.

joey-gti

Cheers andy, sounds like a plan, put vagcom on it today and couldnt find any problems, had a new coilpack and dizzy cap last night, deffo think it needs new pugs. she just needs some tlc i think!!!!:think:
am really lovin her tho!!!!:D

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
vag-com is very very basic on the old ECU's

barely worth the effort in fact.

Good old fashioned servicing is what will see you right 9/10

joey-gti

i agree, it didnt really do much,its more for newer cars i guess, and its much more fun to have a beer on a sunny day n get ur spanners out to work on the car!!!!

joey-gti

a few mates are telling me its the idle control valve?????

where is it on the engine and does any1 know where i can get 1 as ive had no luck....:think:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
stuck down into the front of the manifold between inlets 2/3

undo the black cover that holds the plug leads down and it's under there at the front plain as day

#1 but follow lines to see it's central fitted

133060.png

Last edited:

joey-gti

sayf fl@pper! which bit is it on that diagram?
is it number 1 or 15?

joey-gti

well i finally got an idle valve, cost me £15, took the cover off to get to the old one to find the plug hanging off............

DOH!

ah well, plugged it in and shes idling sweet as!!!!!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.