18” alloys Leon Cupra 280

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Will 235/60 R18 tyres fit on my Leon Cupra 280? Currently running 235/35 R19s. Looking at dropping down to 18” rims. The rims I’ve seen have Q5 tyres on, Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons. The aspect ratios is much higher than on my 19”s.
IMG_2603.jpeg

Nathan penney

Jul 8, 2017
Liverpool
That sounds like a big difference in tyre wall depth.
If you’re going to 18’s I’d have thought 45’s would be the ones to go for.
60’s sound more like suv tyres.
Sure someone else will have more understanding than me.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@Nathan penney; yes, they are SUV tyres - the sidewall is marked ‘SUV’.

@H Rafiq; 235/60 R18 wouldn’t be an appropriate size for the Leon. There are a number of important considerations with new wheels and tyres - see below.

You’d have an unacceptable speedo reading error (12.46%) with 235/60 R18 tyres due to the sizeable increase in rolling radius of the tyre. Your car’s height would also increase by 46.05mm due to the taller tyre sidewall height and arch gap would reduce by the same amount (46.05mm), so with higher tyre sidewalls filling the arch gap there’s a good chance the tyres would foul against the wheel arches too. The speed rating of a tyre intended for an SUV will probably also be inadequate for a 280ps hot hatch.

You’ve not said what the offset (ET) and PCD (bolt pattern) is of the wheels you’re considering - both are very important factors. If the wheels you’re considering have an aggressive offset, then irrespective of the tyre size, the wheel/tyre could poke outwards too far, causing rubbing issue, and if the tyre tread stands proud of the bodywork, that would be illegal. Also, the PCD needs to be 5x112, otherwise the wheels won’t bolt onto your car’s hub assemblies as the bolt holes in the wheel and hub assembly won’t line up.

Also, the centre bore of your existing alloys is 57.1, so the centre bore of the wheels you’re considering needs to be the same size or larger. If larger, then you’ll need a set of spigot rings.

Always worth using a wheel / tyre calculator like the one on www.willtheyfit.com when considering a new wheel / tyre set up, as the calculator will work out the important numbers for you.

Seat fit 225/40 R18 tyres to cars that come with 18” alloys from the factory so IMHO that’s what you should be looking to fit - provided the 18” alloys you’re considering are an appropriate spec for your car.

Last edited:
Reactions: H Rafiq

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
They’re 5 x 112. I could grab the rims and grab some suitable tyres, no?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
They’re 5 x 112. I could grab the rims and grab some suitable tyres, no?

If it was me, I’d want to know what the offset and wheel width is before committing to buying a set of tyres to make sure there wouldn‘t be any fitment / rubbing issues. If they’re an 8.5J or wider, then you’d probably need tyres that are wider than 225. Bear in mind wider (than 225) tyres with an aspect ratio of 40 increases the sidewall height.

You said in your first post that the alloys had Q5 tyres on - does that mean those wheels were on an Audi Q5? Are they genuine OEM Audi alloys? If yes;
  1. then the Q5 alloys should have the spec details (offset, PCD, centre bore size, wheel width, wheel diameter) stamped into the reverse side of the spokes.
  2. Audi Q5 alloys have (I think) a centre bore size of 66.5 so your existing Seat centre caps wouldn’t fit (centre bore of OEM Seat alloys for the Leon is 57.1).

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
I’ll leave it for now. I have PS4s all round on the stock 19”s at the moment. Probably wouldn’t be worth it dropping down to 18”s then having to fork out in decent tyres too. Rides a bit firm and bumpy. Potholes all over the shop make it worse.

MATT RILEY

Oil burner
May 9, 2004
Dude with 60 profile tyres there is no way you will have a bumpy and firm ride!

Get them fitted!

Reactions: bruceR

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
I've watched enough top gear to know that messing big with the tyre sizes usually leads to an awful car to drive..

It'll look like a cupra monster truck though. This might be a good thing

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise