18" tire preasure - 2.0TSI

Lord_Nikkon

Jul 18, 2020
Poland
Hello all,

I am happy user of Leon MY2019 - 2.0TSI with DSG. Also i have 18" tires 225/40/R18

In my opinion preasure in my tires showed on sticker is too high. I had before Leon MY14 (17") and it had three sets of preasure - Sport, Comfort, Full load. All of them was more or less stiff.

Problem is that tires (michelin primacy 4) are loudly much more than my old 17" tires. Especially on back.

I found in other topic that people put (for 1.8TSI DSG) preasure F: 32PSI/R: 29PSI for comfort (3 ppl onboard).

Can you recommend me some normal settings? I have strong felling that such high preasure is effect of WLTP and making everything ECO.

Attachments

• IMG_20200728_160910.jpg
    IMG_20200728_160910.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 133

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
I agree with your last comment. I would try running 35 psi all round, that works for me.

I'm not sure that Primacys are the best choice for a 2.0 though, they're biased towards economy and wear rather than grip. If I was you, I'd be looking for something better.

Lord_Nikkon

Jul 18, 2020
Poland
Thanks. To be honest i change it from Bridgestone Potenza which was horrible. loudly like hell. I had Bridgestone in my previous car and it was same problem. Michelin is way more quiet but I'm open for suggestions. I need something quiet and good quality i know that 2.0 TSI is powerful but I'm not using my baby cupra for racing :) Mostly i'm driving inside city and from time to time on highway.

Currently i put 35 PSI on front and 31 on back (hatchback).

Lord_Nikkon

Jul 18, 2020
Poland
To be honest i was thinking to pump tires by pure nitrogen but i'm not sure is it worth it. Nitrogen doesn't change so easy volume due to temperature changes.

GlekkeMatrak

Dec 22, 2020
Houtvenne, Belgium
I try to set the pressures to those that the tire manufacturer recommends for the specific size on your car. My sticker in the fuel cap says 2.1 bar front, 2.0 bar rear. I roll on Continental PremiumContact 6's, for which Continental recommends 2.5 bar front and 2.3 bar rear, in 225/40 R18, on my car. The pressure in the fuel flap or door is the recommendation for the tires the car was produced with (in my case Bridgestone Potenza's, which have a way stiffer sidewall than Conti's).

SamM2342

Jul 7, 2021
Wexford Ireland
Primacy is a cheap eco tyre designed for normal cars not high performance those tyres be best taken off especially this time of year to much power to play with cheap **** tyres anyone who would buy a car like that and put that **** on it there living beyond there means... 😕

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Air is 70% nitrogen, so pure Nitrogen will have little efffect in reality. Those pressures look a bit high, my Cupra Ateca on 35 profile 20" tyres has the same recommended settings (42/39) for unladen.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Primacy is a cheap eco tyre designed for normal cars not high performance those tyres be best taken off especially this time of year to much power to play with cheap **** tyres anyone who would buy a car like that and put that **** on it there living beyond there means... 😕
I‘m not sure that anyone fitting Michelin Primacy tyres to a 190ps 2.0 Leon is living beyond their means - VAG fit those ‘cheap eco’ Michelin Primacy tyres in the factory to one of their performance models - the 200ps VW Polo GTI on 17” wheels, so they obviously feel those tyres are suitable for a performance car, although no doubt cost will have been a determining factor in fitting those tyres to help keep the build costs down. Having said that, they wouldn’t have been my choice of tyre for a 200ps car.

However, based on forum member feedback over on uk-polos.net forum, Michelin Primacy‘s seem a better all round tyre than the factory fitted Bridgestone Potenzas that VW fit to the optional 18” wheels on the Polo GTI - it’s easy to induce wheel hop and tramping from standstill with the Potenzas without trying, even in dry conditions - I’ve managed it, and I’m a pretty sedate driver. I haven’t read of any instances of wheel hop / tramping from standstill on that forum from owners with Michelin Primacy tyres on their GTI’s.

I swapped the Bridgestones on my car to Michelin PS4 after 3 months of ownership of the car - a much better tyre IMHO.

SamM2342

Jul 7, 2021
Wexford Ireland
I‘m not sure that anyone fitting Michelin Primacy tyres to a 190ps 2.0 Leon is living beyond their means - VAG fit those ‘cheap eco’ Michelin Primacy tyres in the factory to one of their performance models - the 200ps VW Polo GTI on 17” wheels, so they obviously feel those tyres are suitable for a performance car, although no doubt cost will have been a determining factor in fitting those tyres to help keep the build costs down. Having said that, they wouldn’t have been my choice of tyre for a 200ps car.

However, based on forum member feedback over on uk-polos.net forum, Michelin Primacy‘s seem a better all round tyre than the factory fitted Bridgestone Potenzas that VW fit to the optional 18” wheels on the Polo GTI - it’s easy to induce wheel hop and tramping from standstill with the Potenzas without trying, even in dry conditions - I’ve managed it, and I’m a pretty sedate driver. I haven’t read of any instances of wheel hop / tramping from standstill on that forum from owners with Michelin Primacy tyres on their GTI’s.

I swapped the Bridgestones on my car to Michelin PS4 after 3 months of ownership of the car - a much better tyre IMHO.
He's talking about 2.0 tsi that's over 280 hp so ye he's talking seriously high performance car which Warrents an uhp tyre at least which the primacy 4 is not I know he's not using it as a race car but come on primacy and performance don't go together I don't know what cars they do or don't come on all I know us from my 10years experience fitting and testing tyres the primacy 4 is not a uhp tyre therefore should not be on a uhp car appoligese if I'm wrong on horse power but and it's just my ten pence worth... I don't rate primacy tyres highly at all there hard loud wear badly compared to other models very closely priced I can sell you today 225 40 18 ps4s for 165 euro primacy 4 125 euro 160 in the difference in the set its simply cutting corners and living beyond there means... 😕

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
He's talking about 2.0 tsi that's over 280 hp so ye he's talking seriously high performance car which Warrents an uhp tyre at least which the primacy 4 is not I know he's not using it as a race car but come on primacy and performance don't go together I don't know what cars they do or don't come on all I know us from my 10years experience fitting and testing tyres the primacy 4 is not a uhp tyre therefore should not be on a uhp car appoligese if I'm wrong on horse power but and it's just my ten pence worth... I don't rate primacy tyres highly at all there hard loud wear badly compared to other models very closely priced I can sell you today 225 40 18 ps4s for 165 euro primacy 4 125 euro 160 in the difference in the set its simply cutting corners and living beyond there means... 😕
Unless its a Cupra (which he doesn't mention it is) 2.0 TSI is 190 bhp. Any big manufacturer branded tyre will be better than cheap chinese ditch finders. I have a 2.0 TDI 184 Leon with Michelin all seasons on all year, I don't hang about when driving, and I have never wanted for more tyre. Let's not forget, we are talking about a Seat Leon, not an RS6.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Apologies! Missed the OP‘s comment in post #3 where they said their car was a Cupra.

Agree, a 280 bhp Cupra ought to have a set of high performance tyres.

SamM2342

Jul 7, 2021
Wexford Ireland
🙈Completely my bad I presumed he was talking about a cupra.. In that vase
Unless its a Cupra (which he doesn't mention it is) 2.0 TSI is 190 bhp. Any big manufacturer branded tyre will be better than cheap chinese ditch finders. I have a 2.0 TDI 184 Leon with Michelin all seasons on all year, I don't hang about when driving, and I have never wanted for more tyre. Let's not forget, we are talking about a Seat Leon, not an RS6.
OK that's my bad I presumed it's a cupra maybe not 🙈 in that case the loudness coming from the rear would suggest uneven tyre wear /high and low spots on inner shoulders it's extremely common with primacy tyres... If not then pressure I would put 34psi in those and that would be an optimal all round pressure in my opinion... But I will repeat I don't rate those tyres highly at all and would recommend changing.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.