1997 1.4 MPi Auto stuck in third gear ...

foto2021

May 2, 2011
Buckinghamshire
My little Arosa auto has stopped changing gear and offers only third gear and reverse. It otherwise drives OK.

This seems to have happened since I did two jobs on the car. The first job was changing the rear lights for the Mark II type, including re-wiring the connectors. The new lights work fine except the reversing light which doesn't work at all. No reversing light + gearbox not changing gears ... could they both be symptoms of the same electrical problem?

The second job I did was changing the pollen filter from inside the engine compartment. That was straightforward. However, there is an ECU next to the pollen filter housing and I wondered if perhaps I may have disturbed a connector or something.

Has anyone experienced this problem before? I would like some suggestions before I investigate ... I don't want to make things any worse, or in other words, more expensive!.

foto2021

May 2, 2011
Buckinghamshire
Problem diagnosed as electrical - a blown fuse. Changed the fuse but the new fuse blew in spectacular fashion when I put the gear selector in reverse. :(

When I changed the rear lights I was left with a spare wire on the offside and a contact in the plug that was shown on the wiring diagram as "not used". So rather than have a loose wire hanging around I put it in the "not used" contact. Problem is, the 'not used' contact turned out to be a spare earth.

The wire is the live supply for the offside reversing light, which isn't needed as the Mark II rear lights have only one reversing light on the near side. So as soon as I energised it by engaging reverse, the fuse blew. The same fuse also supplies the ECU for the auto gearbox, so that was in 'limp home' mode with only third and reverse available.

The solution was simple - remove the wire from the socket and tape it up safely. With yet another new fuse in place, everything works! :D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise