1997 2.0 16v Idle problem when cold

dave j

I have a 97 Toledo 2.0 16v that doesnt idle very well when cold. I have cleaned the ISV with some carb cleaner that has made it slightly better but still sometimes cuts out when cold. It sometimes needs a bit of throttle to start too... Any ideas what the problem could be? Once its been running for a minute or so its fine. It has a universal induction kit on it which probably doesnt help.
Cheers,

Dave.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
the good old temp sensor i would guess

4 pin in the top of the water housing

tells ecu when engine is cold/warm/hot and adjusts fuel/choke accordingly

if its ONLY dodgy when cold the ecu is thinking it's warmed up so fuels accordingly hence fine when warm

can sometimes be symptoms the other way (fine cold but chuggs around overfuelling when warm)

boltom1

Have I got the same problem? - new owner looking for advice

Hello folks

Just bought my first car of my own - Leon 1.6 SE - Yr 2000 on a W.

Had been looking for a hatchback to teach my wife to drive in, had considered Astra and even an Alfa 147, never really thought about a Seat until I sat in my mates 1.8 20V and was hooked.

For my money, don't think anything else similar size look as good, even the old shape is better looking than anything else, including the Alfa's in my price bracket (£3000), and saved a good bit by going for a sound but older example with FSH for £1600, so have a bit to spend on it.

2 questions if anyone can help. Think I have the same prob as the last guy - started fine on test drives until the cold weather came (I live in Glasgow, so we have plenty of it). It starts fine, but doesn't tick over at rest until it's warmed up. The rev needle flickers and it even stalls. Sounds like similar problem - could this be the temp sensor? and can I fix this or is it a big job? I'm a bit handy, but nothing too complicated I hope.

Also, does anyone have any recommedations for any after market upgrades. Have done the stereo, as it had a casette:shrug:, and don't even think you can buy them anymore. Don't want anything too flash - something to up the performance a bit without breaking the bank and sending my insurance premium sky high, and a few bits of body stuff, something subtle and not too bling bling - just to make it look a bit different.

Sorry for the long post - great site with some tidy looking motors. Would appreciate any advice.

Cheers

dave j

Many thanks for the reply Fl@pper, I will have a look for this sensor! I had to replace the temp sensor on my old mk2 Jetta and I bought one from GSF, I hope they list one for this one...
Hope you can get yours sorted too Boltom1!

dave j

Bah! Replaced the temp sensor today and its still the same. Still doesnt want to tick over when cold and needs some throttle to start. Any other suggestions?
Dave.