1st Gear Selection Problem

May 25, 2004
Newport, South Wales
How many more things can go wrong! I think i'll be starting a clean slate as far as the faults with these cars go!

As above. Noticed when exiting the M4.

It just will not select 1st gear, it's like hitting a brick wall. :(
Just want some advice on what would be the best route to solve the problem?

Im guessing a new (recon) gearbox will be cheaper than having this one stripped down??

Cheers :thumbup:

Last edited:

Copra

Used To Be "mk4polo"
Feb 7, 2003
Hampshire
Visit site
im guessing its heat transfer.

esp as you have a modified downpipe.

they sit closer to the gear linkage cables and with a lot of heat (ie motorway driving) they heat up and it gets harder to select gears. Maybe who ever fitted the dp has removed one of the heat sheilds to stop it touching or something. its worth checking out anyway, its quite feasable

May 25, 2004
Newport, South Wales
All heatshields def. in place. I have crunched a gear a few times. Once I then found myself at a junction unable to get it out of 1st gear. With a very hard yank it did come out but was a bit "grindy" when selecting 1st and 2nd for the next few days when it returned back to normal.
Like I said I then crunched a bugger on the M4 and then found that I couldnt use first.
It always seems to happen after a bad crunch, but this time it seems fatal...

-pseudonymous-

Oct 28, 2005
Oh great just what i didnt want to hear! :lol:

Just fitted a cai like yours Carl and effin hell its loud!

Cheers mate.

-pseudonymous-

Oct 28, 2005
Your running pretty much exactly the same spec as me Daz. Hows your car running now? Whats it boosting to? Also do you know how much just a clutch would cost.

Cheers matey.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.