2.0 8v cutting out fixed, now lumpy idle & blue smoke

Nick Nick

Ibiza Veteran, Leon Virgin
Nov 13, 2005
Southampton
Hey all again,

After fixing the cutting out problem, I now seem to have another problem although not as annoying.
My car now seems to idle badly about 2 minutes after starting it. Its fine when I start it in the morning after being on the drive all night, but 2 minutes up the road, it begins to feel very lumpy on idle, like its only running on 3 plugs, and kicks out lots of blue smoke from the exhaust. If I rev over 3000 rpm it seems to go away and the smoke stops, and after warming up and a 20 min blast on the motorway, its happy to idle again with no lumpiness or smoke. I've just tested again now at lunch in the car park and its doing the same thing - fine for a couple of minutes, but then feels like its lost a spark plug.

I did spray some wynns injector cleaner into the air intake a few days ago, but it didnt seem to do much at the time, and when I took it for a spin directly afterwards, it felt fine. I didnt go mad with the spray either, literally probably 10 small squirts. You can't do long squirts cos it kills the engine when idling.

I've read about cleaning the throttle body, but was wondering if I should try changing the plugs first? They are the only part of the HT circuit that didn't get changed when it was cutting out.

As always, grateful for any help!
Nick

Nick Nick

Nov 13, 2005
Southampton
Fixed again (I hope). Did some testing yesterday during its fit and taking each HT lead off one by one revealed that the furthest one from the dizzy made no difference if it was on or off. The others changed the engine sound when taking them off. There was a spark from the lead, so I've changed the spark plugs and it was fine this morning Odd thing is, the old ones don't look that bad - a bit black but nothing too serious. Hey ho...

Nick Nick

Nov 13, 2005
Southampton
I'm hoping this little threesome of problems will be the last for a while, I've had the coil blow up, the cranksensor die, and now the sparkies! They say bad luck comes in threes, so fingers crossed I'm in the clear for a bit! ;)

Just remembered that the blue smoke was unburnt petrol by the smell of it, while I was testing yesterday it stank the car park out :redface:

xcore

Nov 15, 2007
blue smoke is burnt oil, piston rings or valve guide seals sounds like its running rich if it smells petrolly

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise