2.0 TSI 190 DSG

sheriffwoody

Feb 25, 2020
don't get me wrong - the stone chips weren't majorly bad, they were just more annoying than anything else. but now i know they are there, i can see them every time i look at the front of the car in a photo.

47mpg is good!!

all the cars i am looking at are hatchbacks.

there has just been a new one added at my local dealership (19 reg, black, fr sport hatch) - so i have asked to go have a look. always said i would never own a black car, but i could be tempted.

its about a grand more than the others i have seen of same spec and mileage, so will try and beat them down a little.

sheriffwoody

Feb 25, 2020
i have attached a photo of the front of the car and then another zoomed in to show the marks.

am i being too picky?

Attachments

• car.jpg
    car.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 162
  • car  2.jpg
    car 2.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 145

R45HU

Jan 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
Defo being too picky I have a black cupra and as you can imagine any stone chip scratch and swirl mark is noticeable speaking in hindsight wish I had bought a white one now!

Last edited:
Reactions: sheriffwoody

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
i have attached a photo of the front of the car and then another zoomed in to show the marks.

am i being too picky?
What was the age of this one?

I bought my last car when it was just over 3 years old. It had done 12k miles. There was about as many stone chips on it as you have on that white car, however the paint was red so they were more noticeable. I had the car for just under 3 years and put another 35k miles on it. I maybe got one more stone chip over the course of my ownership that was much bigger. I ended up having the front of the car resprayed after someone scraped the wheelarch in a car park. Got the paint chips done at the same time for about £300 all in.

If it really bothers you, It's an easy fix.

Reactions: sheriffwoody

sheriffwoody

Feb 25, 2020
the white car in question is a 19 plate and done just under 10k miles.

i have just seen a gorgeous looking magnetic grey version (19 plate, 9.3k miles) - comes with a spare wheel and panoramic sunroof - looks lovely, but they have it up for £18.5k, so well over budget and what others are going for.

SteveFR

Dec 7, 2016
Bucks
Just just part exchanged our 2013 1.8tsi DSG for a 2019 2.0 tsi DSG.

The most noticeable difference is the extra torque in low to mid revs, although at higher revs there's nothing in it.

I did think the 1.8 sounded great in sport, even if it was a soundaktor, at least it sounded like a petrol engine. The lower revving 2.0 is quieter and sounds more like a diesel engine to my ears.

on my drive back from the dealership (125 miles mostly motorway) the 2.0 achieved 44mpg, under the same circumstances the 1.8 would probably achieve high 30s.
Was your 1.8TSI remapped or stock?

As once the initial novelty wore off I found my 1.8TSI a little lacklustre, until it had a Shark stage 1 remap which put its BHP on par with Golf GTi. So am wary of dropping back down to 187BHP, as I can’t see any ECU remap options on RacingLine or Revo websites for this new engine.

However I do like the look of Virtual Cockpit plus would like the smoother DSG and Android Auto, which has me tempted to upgrade...

sheriffwoody

Feb 25, 2020
The dsg gearbox was fantastic on the two I drove (never driven with one before). A big selling point for me.

ExInferis

Feb 18, 2020
the white car in question is a 19 plate and done just under 10k miles.

i have just seen a gorgeous looking magnetic grey version (19 plate, 9.3k miles) - comes with a spare wheel and panoramic sunroof - looks lovely, but they have it up for £18.5k, so well over budget and what others are going for.

Decide where you stand on a pano roof. The first car I went to see had one, and they had not put it in the advert or taken photos from an angle showing it. I was fuming. I would not have driven all the way to Bristol had I known.

For me personally, they make the car an inferno in summer, reduce headroom, provide more to go wrong, and importantly add approx 90kg of weight in the last place on earth you should add weight to a vehicle.

Personally I'd take a normal roof and take a vitamin D pill!

Reactions: SteveFR

SteveFR

Dec 7, 2016
Bucks
The dsg gearbox was fantastic on the two I drove (never driven with one before). A big selling point for me.
Having only driven manuals previously the DQ200 was a revelation for me but it is a tad notchy around 2nd gear and the DQ381 sounds like a nice improvement.

I assume if you remap the 2.0 190 engine it voids the manufacturers warranty?
Yeah, I’d assume so. I waited until my 1.8TSI was 3 years old before getting mine remapped but it’s continued to be rock solid, well aside from coolant pump going last year but that’s a common flaw for the engine anyway.

Mr Mustard

Jan 24, 2015
South East
Was your 1.8TSI remapped or stock?

As once the initial novelty wore off I found my 1.8TSI a little lacklustre, until it had a Shark stage 1 remap which put its BHP on par with Golf GTi. So am wary of dropping back down to 187BHP, as I can’t see any ECU remap options on RacingLine or Revo websites for this new engine.

However I do like the look of Virtual Cockpit plus would like the smoother DSG and Android Auto, which has me tempted to upgrade...
No the 1.8tsi was stock. I don't think the DQ200 gearbox could reliably handle the stock power, let alone tuned.

Some figures measured on my Dragy:
1.8tsi DSG (at 28000 miles)
0-60 6.38s
30-70 5.47s

2.0tsi DSG (at 4000 miles, on cold damp road)
0-60 6.69s
30-70 5.39s
I'm sure it will do better with more miles & better road conditions.

For comparison, Golf GTI DSG mk6
0-60 6.45s
30-70 5.3s

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
No the 1.8tsi was stock. I don't think the DQ200 gearbox could reliably handle the stock power, let alone tuned.

0-60 6.38s
30-70 5.47s

0-60 6.69s
30-70 5.39s

0-60 6.45s
30-70 5.3s

Are SEAT telling porkies about their power again? I'm sure the times would be in the low 7s in thier brochure, but I remember the same engine in the A3 showing high 6s.
Assuming the GTI is the 217BHP variant?

SteveFR

Dec 7, 2016
Bucks

0-60 6.38s
30-70 5.47s

0-60 6.69s
30-70 5.39s

0-60 6.45s
30-70 5.3s
Crickey, your 1.8TSI must’ve been remapped on the production line to pull those figures!

I might’ve to invest in one of those Dragy things to see what mine is doing, as i assume the free mobile apps are inaccurate?

Last edited:

sheriffwoody

Feb 25, 2020

0-60 6.38s
30-70 5.47s

0-60 6.69s
30-70 5.39s

0-60 6.45s
30-70 5.3s

is the 0-60 time of the 2.0 TSI DSG a standard car, or modded in any way? On paper the 0-60 time is 7.2 seconds, so quite a bit faster if standard?

sheriffwoody

Feb 25, 2020
Decide where you stand on a pano roof. The first car I went to see had one, and they had not put it in the advert or taken photos from an angle showing it. I was fuming. I would not have driven all the way to Bristol had I known.

For me personally, they make the car an inferno in summer, reduce headroom, provide more to go wrong, and importantly add approx 90kg of weight in the last place on earth you should add weight to a vehicle.

Personally I'd take a normal roof and take a vitamin D pill!

i'm quite fond of a sunroof, wouldn't buy a car JUST for one, but if it has one then its an added extra (appreciate more to go wrong later though), but taking out a chunk of roof and putting in a sun roof can't add the best part of 15 stone, surely?!

sheriffwoody

Feb 25, 2020
I have just taken another FR Sport out for a test drive that has just turned up at my local Seat garage (black, hatchback, no sun roof) and this was a much better experience than the one last weekend.

Was out for about 45 mins and 17 miles and managed an average of 36.8mpg - the first 10-15mins or so was stuck in stop start traffic as we had to go and get some fuel, and then after that it was a mixture of 30,40 and 60mph roads. Was quite a relaxed drive with the odd sports mode squirt up a hill in the 60mph zone and through the twisty b roads, and then nice and sedate in the 30 and 40 zones, coasting a lot of the time. So fairly happy with that mpg obtained (this was from the reading in the digital display that came up once the engine was turned off etc).#

The car definately feels qucker than a mid 7 second car to 60!

Reactions: ExInferis

Mr Mustard

Jan 24, 2015
South East
[/QUOTE]
is the 0-60 time of the 2.0 TSI DSG a standard car, or modded in any way? On paper the 0-60 time is 7.2 seconds, so quite a bit faster if standard?
2.0 not modded, figures taken a few days after purchase from dealership. Traction off. Anyone testing these cars will be surprised how much quicker they are than official figures.

Mr Mustard

Jan 24, 2015
South East
Crickey, your 1.8TSI must’ve been remapped on the production line to pull those figures!

I might’ve to invest in one of those Dragy things to see what mine is doing, as i assume the free mobile apps are inaccurate?

Tried and failed to do a multi-post quote.

I had the Dragy on the dashboard of my beemer at Santa Pod last summer, and the figures for the official timing gear and Dragy were within a few thousandths of a second. I don't know of any phone apps that I would trust to be accurate.
Got loooooads of figures from cars I've owned over the last 10 years, most taken via a Racelogic V-box. Bit sad, maybe.

Last edited:

Mr Mustard

Jan 24, 2015
South East
Are SEAT telling porkies about their power again? I'm sure the times would be in the low 7s in thier brochure, but I remember the same engine in the A3 showing high 6s.
Assuming the GTI is the 217BHP variant?
That's correct, SEAT 7.1s - Audi 6.9s, same engine, weight near enough.

Eskilation

Dec 3, 2017
UK
I have just taken another FR Sport out for a test drive that has just turned up at my local Seat garage (black, hatchback, no sun roof) and this was a much better experience than the one last weekend.

Was out for about 45 mins and 17 miles and managed an average of 36.8mpg - the first 10-15mins or so was stuck in stop start traffic as we had to go and get some fuel, and then after that it was a mixture of 30,40 and 60mph roads. Was quite a relaxed drive with the odd sports mode squirt up a hill in the 60mph zone and through the twisty b roads, and then nice and sedate in the 30 and 40 zones, coasting a lot of the time. So fairly happy with that mpg obtained (this was from the reading in the digital display that came up once the engine was turned off etc).#

The car definately feels qucker than a mid 7 second car to 60!

Time to part with some cash and get back in touch with the inner boy racer. A sleeper and fast enough to have fun.
You won’t regret it love my FR ST 190