2001 Leon immobiliser problems - Disable it?

Rs2-GTi

Mar 24, 2016
I have bought a car from a friend which is tired of throwing money after it, a 2001 Leon 1.8 T. The one big problem that is left is that it won't start. The previous owner had it in a garage and they claimed it was the immobiliser, and recommended to get a new key and get it paired. That was done, but it still wouldn't start. The garage said the next step was to get a new instrument panel and code once again. So that is where it sits right now.

I have worked at a VW / Audi / Seat garage, and I remember that the immobilisers from that era was a reoccurring problem. Since there are no Seat dealers in town I will also have an issue to get the instrument/key paired. I know there are some small garages willing to give it a go, but often they try and fail while the customer is paying for it.

So I am thinking about getting the immobiliser deactivated. What are my options? I am located in Norway by the way. I also live in a small town, so theft is not really a problem up here.

Please advice! Thank you! :)

Rs2-GTi

Mar 24, 2016
Additional info from the mechanic who worked on it last time; you can code the keys, but the car "forget" it right away.

Rs2-GTi

Mar 24, 2016
Hm. Not possible to remove immobiliser? Ever heard of VagTronics - co - uk (web adress) ? You are suppose to be able to ship the ecu there and get it done ..

dukemaster17

Dec 21, 2015
Greece
There is a guy on ebay that i found that does this Job.
That guy says that removes the Immo on the ECU and no matched key or instrument panel is required.

I will sent you his link via pm and you can contact him and ask him about it.
The problem (i don't no if it is a problem for you) is that his is located in UK and not in Norway.

I would suggest you to to do it with VagTacho if you know how to do it.

Either way i will sent you the links and you decide how to proceed.

PS: Just saw that you can't receive PM yet so the links are:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-AUDI-S...liser-Delete-Off-Defeat-Service-/131646114698

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=251621

Last edited:

Rs2-GTi

Mar 24, 2016
Thanks!

Contacted the guy from Ebay, sendt it to the UK, and he did it in a couple of days + postage. Installed it last night in the car and it started without any problems. Thanks for the tip! Will recommend the service of this guy to solve your immobilizer problems!

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
Personally I would have preferred to get it sorted properly. Pairing the immo on these older car is silly easy and can be done with 3 quids worth of eBay cable and free to download software

Now anybody with a screwdriver could get your car started and should you car ever be stolen and recovered, your insurance could be deemed void unless you inform them that you have removed the original factory fit anti-theft system

Rs2-GTi

Mar 24, 2016
That might be, but it was a faulty cluster that was the problem, which means 100 £ in parts, after already spending 60 £ on new key, because the shop could not figure out which was the problem. Also there is no Seat shop for about 1000 km, and the VW Audi shop could not sort this out because they did not have the software.

Also the immobilizer have been known to fail all too often, so I'm just glad to see it go. Also I live above the arctic circle - if anybody steals the car, I will find them ;) And in the end, it's just as easy to use a screwdriver on any other 90s car. I really don't worry about it.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.