2007 Formula Sport 1.4 100PS Tappet Noise

uzzy

Run In!
Aug 8, 2006
Stone, Staffordshire
I noticed a slight tappety ticking noise on startup (for a second or so) of my wifes 1.4 FS. Is this normal? It isn't every time the car is started from cold. I'm worried but don't want to tarnish her vision of her new motor.

Bazza

haven't noticed it on my missus one

are you sure its not just the time it takes for the oil to circulate to the top of the engine from the sump after its been sitting?

gravity dictates it will all go to the bottom!

uzzy

Run In!
Aug 8, 2006
Stone, Staffordshire
Possibly, it has only done 700 miles and it sounds like something that has done 70,000. It is in the garage when I notice it so I've got my fingers crossed it is something else.

uzzy

Run In!
Aug 8, 2006
Stone, Staffordshire
I am being fobbed off by the dealer as regards to this, as being a trait of the car. Has anyone got any advice? The reason I ask is the noise was really significant this morning.

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
i get this on a 1.2 ibiza, and dealer says its the time for the oil to get around the engine when its been sitting

st10587

Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
Thanks, did you have that problem from new? The dealer did mention the 1.2 had the same problem so maybe they aren't stringing me a line.

i didnt get the car new but its done it all the time ive owned it. seems to effect it more in the winter! ive ask a dealer to look at it as well but they gave me pretty much the sam eanswer as you been given

Ads-ibiza

mine does it for about 2-4 seconds and then dies away so i guessed it was going to be because all the oil had settled

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
maybe some better quality oil will help
I found my fr petrol did it somtimes (always started cold in the garage)
oil change for MOBIL 1 and it's fine now

not cheap oil though :(

bobthecod

Sep 23, 2007
mine does it.. only when cold so would say its the oil fing.. mines done it from the 1st day

Stalwart

Glad I found this thread. My car does this as well. Anyone think this will cause lasting damage to the engine. When it's cold outside the engine noise is really loud.

Also what grade was this mobile 1 oil? I may switch and see if this helps.

st10587

Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
Glad I found this thread. My car does this as well. Anyone think this will cause lasting damage to the engine. When it's cold outside the engine noise is really loud.

Also what grade was this mobile 1 oil? I may switch and see if this helps.

as long as you leave it to warm up and the noise to stop it will be fine!

Stalwart

as long as you leave it to warm up and the noise to stop it will be fine!

Is it something the dealer can fix? The car is less than a year old. What's odd is the fact it only really happens when it's cold outside and only one the first start of the day. It could be minus 4c and I can leave it sit at work for 8 hours it will start fine. It's only when I start it up to go to work in this type of weather when I hear it.

Also nice FR by the way. I've got the 1.8 FR myself.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.