2011 Leon Mk3

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
The back bumper is almost identical to pre fl mk2? Its a nice car but its got a **** arse. Shame, i like rear ends

The lines on the side are almost identical to the ibiza......

Last edited:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I was quite impressed until I read they've removed the multi-link rear suspension that the current Leon has. The cost cutting strikes again, so I won't be buying one. Reckon the A3 is worth the extra unless this turns out to be massively cheap (it probably won't).

According to the press release only on those up to 150PS power output, the more powerful engined models (i.e. the 180PS+ petrol and diesels) will have multi-link.

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
The back bumper is almost identical to pre fl mk2? Its a nice car but its got a **** arse. Shame, i like rear ends

The lines on the side are almost identical to the ibiza......

All part of the family look. Moving on from the curvy rounded look of the MK4 Ibiza and MK2 Leon and onto the more angular style of the MK5 Ibiza. It's a winner for me. I liked it as soon as I saw the first photos. Just like I did with the MK2.

It seems there are a couple of different camps on here. Those of us who have never had a MK1 Leon or a MK3 Ibiza and all we know are the Walter da Silva cars, then the MK1 Leon owners who prefer their style of cars. For what it's worth the MK1 Leon is still a good looking car. :)

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
According to the press release only on those up to 150PS power output, the more powerful engined models (i.e. the 180PS+ petrol and diesels) will have multi-link.

been reading up on the new A3 and I think they are all doing this so won't matter which brand you go for.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Fixed rear beam is a thing to avoid, looking at the initial reviews of the same setup on the Rapid - I wonder if they'll reconsider - then again most people wouldn't know if a car had cart springs or independent setup

If it matters to you know what models come with it, you know which to avoid.

Deleted member 74601

The more I look at it, the less I like it. Apart from the interior, that's nice (except the steering wheel)

ian_106

Jul 14, 2007
I've had two leons in the past last one being a 05 plate 1.6 sx, must of been one of the best cars ive ever owned, changed it last year for a crappy honda civic :blink:

Now i'd love to buy a new seat & had to wait 7 years for the dreadful looking mk2 to pass & now Seat come up with this ....

youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HMpBL7v7Igs

I think seat could of done alot better, as said above the interior looks good, but if this is the FR model god help us what the rest of the range will look like :cry:

6th.replicant

May 29, 2008
London
Fixed rear beam is a thing to avoid, looking at the initial reviews of the same setup on the Rapid ...
A fixed beam rear axle seems to work OK on RenaultSport's Clio and Mégane, both of which are arguably best-in-class for handling; Evo, for example, rated the latter's overall chassis and helm ahead of the mk2 Focus RS: "I find it more approachable at the limit, and love the way you can build up such a sinuous flow on good roads. It’s addictive."

FWIW I like the Léon 3's looks, a lot. Props to Messrs Donckerwolke and Mesonero-Romanos for designing a contemporary hatch' without a fugly gaping grille and absurdly oversized headlamps.

Léon 3 looks as if it has 'German solidity' but also has Mediterranean/southern European charm and verve - excellent. Cabin/dash is a huge improvement, too. Longer wheelbase with shorter front/rear overhangs is a welcome and savvy touch, but it's a great shame the width has increased by almost 2in.

And unlike the Mk2 LCR, let's hope VW doesn't deliberately hobble SEAT when it develops the mk3 LCR's suspension setup... :whistle:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Just a shame that it got all crap and crashey on the SEATs then! My Ibiza pitched about on uneven roads with it. And all the other SEATs I've had with it.

99% of the time 99% of the people are not driving about on the limit, so evos comments are nugatory.

SEAT must agree that it sucks though, because the half decent models get IRS

manhota

Apr 21, 2010
west mids wolves area
wow the new car is not exactly fugley but its not so special as the mk1 or mk2, looks wise (outside) its the wrong direction for me no hidden rear handles no smooth modern lines like its sculpted.

Inside massive improvement right direction.

engine line up looks very good (fuel saving, co2, petrol has direct injection and pre valve injection no tfsi gunk problems anymore)

will i be getting one, I dont think so just to bland looking to me Hopefully they will have some sort of aero kit, Ibiza is a better looking car! new Ford Focus ST is coming out next month looks good, new 3 series m sport looks nice, new astra vxr/gtc looks good, the list goes on mk3 leon atm does not look grt in looks compared to others.

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
There'll be no such thing as a fake and real FR, FR is just a trim level now, if you want a faster model you'll have to get a Cupra, which is why I suspect they'll do a Cupra diesel, with the Cupras essentially taking over from the high end FRs and then a Cupra R will be the top of the range petrol.

But this is all just speculation based on things I've read, it seems to be the direction they're going in.

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
http://www.seat.co.uk/content/uk/brand/en/news-and-events/the-new-seat-leon.html

I am sure you've all visited the link above, but what I find interesting and what I am praying for, is under FR bit it talks about looking sportier, having more kit, and better suspension. Thankfully nothing about the Engines, so hopefully there continuing the trend, doing a fake FR with the real one coming out after.

I was tweeting Seat UK with a few questions regarding the FR and TDI models, they commented that the 2.0 TDI will have 148BHP and later on a 181BHP TDI will be released.

I also commented there is no mention of a "Sport" ... only an S, SE then FR.

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
It'll be the same as the facelift Ibiza, no sport models anymore, just lower powered FRs instead.
You can now get the Ibiza FR with the 1.2 TSI and 1.6 TDI both with 105bhp, In addition to the existing 1.4 TSI and 2.0 TDI

well I didn't know that, thought only the Leon had to endure having FR's that are actually bluemotions in disguise.

You can see all the stats for the 150bhp tdi in the A3 now and she is no slouch either

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
It looks lovely imo so much better than the fugly mk2 and they have really pulled the interior up in standards.

Could be a replacement for my boca when its out!

I just dont get the point of Full LED headlamps. the only plus side is you do not need conventional sized reflectors so having them as an option just seems silly to me.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members