2018 290 Rear Brake Judder (After ebrake stuck on)

mrvanx

Feb 13, 2014
York
Hi All,
Had a couple of faults with the Cupra (290 nov 2018) after it was sat far a bit during lockdown.

First one was the Air con stopped working, slap bang in the middle of the warm weather! All I got was a "hissing" noise from behind the vents which went away when the AC was turned off, came back when it was turned back on (this was sorted see below)

Second was that when I went to drive it the e handbrake disengaged but it took a bit of forward throttle to actually let go (ie it went "thud!" then moved fine). Initially there was a "thud thud thud" whilst driving which went away fairly quickly but I got judder when I used the brakes (Felt through the peddle and heard, nothing through the steering wheel). This improved a lot with continued use but I got it booked into my local dealership to get the two faults sorted.

The Air con was empty, surprising for a car less than 2 years old!?! An Air Con service sorted that. The brakes were checked and they found nothing untoward, they said the pads had plenty of meat on them etc..., even drove it out and couldn't feel a thing.........I suspect they drove slow and didn't brake hard enough to notice the judder. I was recommended to just "let the brakes bed in" but after a week it still happens (I commute around 15 miles a day), it is noticeable on the first mile or so under moderate braking, beyond that I tend to use the ACC which does most of the work and it is so easy on the brakes you dont notice the judder. If I hammer it then have to calm it down to 40/30 then the judder is there.

Im wondering where to go from here, keep going and see if it goes away, or maybe look at getting the discs cleaned?? Its on PCH so it really needs to be spot on for December when I give it back (gutted).

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
You've possibly got a rusty disk and the clean area where the pad was sitting is causing the judder. Have a look at the disk. If that's what it is it should clean up.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
The rear pads tend to leave some residue behind on the disc braking surface when they’re stuck on. A 3M Scotchbrite pad by hand on both sides of the disc is usually sufficient to remove this, followed by some brake cleaner (don’t spray this with the alloys fitted though as it will damage the paint/lacquer).

If you want to be 100% sure, I would also take out the rear pads and give these a quick scuff with the Scotchbrite/remove the brake build up from the channel on the pad face, and clean/lube the pins and pad guide rails just to make sure. I normally carry out this task every time I swap between my winter and summer wheels. You only need VCDS or equivalent to wind the rear brake callipers in when fitting new pads - if putting the same worn pads back in this is not required.

In terms of the lease return, if the garage have stated that there is no issue, then you have the evidence that you require.

Tivver500

Nov 23, 2019
I had a similar issue.... Car was only 3 days old when left at Gatwick (in pi55ing down rain). On return a loud thump when pulling away with regular thumping sound when braking.
Turned out a chunk of brake pad had welded itself to the disc. The Seat tech said he'd never seen one that bad! Cleaned up and waited 3 months (during lockdown) for new pads. Did have a bit of discussion with Seat before they finally agreed it was warranty.
Now I leave it in 'P' with park brake off!!!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members