20mm Spacers for Cupra TDI

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Post the link in here,
I got mine from Ebay for about £80, If I had a choice again however I'd go for the 20mm Hubcentric B+ FK spacers. They might be slightly more expensive (About £100) but their safer and more lightweight and the lighter they are the less stress your putting on your wheel bearings :)
Not that anyone here has had wheel bearing related issues, better to be safe than sorry though!

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
I got the ones off ebay, think the seller was AC motorsport. They are quite heavy but look the part when on the car.

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
20090911_rmctow_day1_13.jpg

20090911_rmctow_day1_69.jpg

Very, Even at standard ride height (Which mine is) they make alot of difference both handling and looks wise.

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Post the link in here,
I got mine from Ebay for about £80, If I had a choice again however I'd go for the 20mm Hubcentric B+ FK spacers. They might be slightly more expensive (About £100) but their safer and more lightweight and the lighter they are the less stress your putting on your wheel bearings :)
Not that anyone here has had wheel bearing related issues, better to be safe than sorry though!

I hate to say this, but no1 anywhere has ever had wheel bearing issues from spacers. Its a common misconception thats bandied about of internet forums.

If anyone can give me a logical explanation why it would cause premature bearing failure from an engineering point of view, I'll eat my rear spacers

JPS3290

Dirty Diesel
Jun 6, 2003
Durham
Visit site
Hmm Thought about getting these for a while. Exactly what difference do you notice?
Only issues I have with the car is it has a tendacy to understeer quite a bit, never had issues with the rear stepping out.

Sell it to me ;)

P.S. Thanks for the pics mate!

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
I hate to say this, but no1 anywhere has ever had wheel bearing issues from spacers. Its a common misconception thats bandied about of internet forums.

If anyone can give me a logical explanation why it would cause premature bearing failure from an engineering point of view, I'll eat my rear spacers

.... *facepalm*

To be fair, over the rear wheels 25mm and below its doubtful you will ever encounter wheel bearing issues. Front spacers on the other hand are a totally different matter, Theres nothing banded around by anyone.

Extending the wheel past standard width will put more stress on the components that hold the wheel in place (Namely the wheel bearing) The wider you go the more stress you'll place on those components because your widening the pivot the whole car sits on.
I cant provide you with pictorial evidence as... well I dont put them on the front.

Imagine taking a ruler placing half of it off the end of your desk. put some weights on it. now move it further and further off the desk now jolt it up and down, That pivot is your bearing, after a while it will fail!

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
.... *facepalm*

To be fair, over the rear wheels 25mm and below its doubtful you will ever encounter wheel bearing issues. Front spacers on the other hand are a totally different matter, Theres nothing banded around by anyone.

Extending the wheel past standard width will put more stress on the components that hold the wheel in place (Namely the wheel bearing) The wider you go the more stress you'll place on those components because your widening the pivot the whole car sits on.
I cant provide you with pictorial evidence as... well I dont put them on the front.

Imagine taking a ruler placing half of it off the end of your desk. put some weights on it. now move it further and further off the desk now jolt it up and down, That pivot is your bearing, after a while it will fail!

The wheel bearing doesn't hold the wheel in place.

nor does it take the weight of the car as you've described. You took a pivot which is always in the same place (wheel bearing) then placed weights on a ruler. How does moving the wheels relative to the bearing place any more weight or load on the bearing. The car weigh the same, the car doesn;t pivot around the bearing (the suspenion is there for this), so how have you placed any more stress on the bearing

What you've just done is quote verbotim almost the same as every other internet forum. Without doing any real research.

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
So, What your telling me is that no load is placed in wheel bearings.
Infact... No damage can be done to wheel bearings by placing large spacers on cars where the weight is located?

I better reconsider vertical vs axial loads

"the horizonal lateral distance from the center of the wheel bearings to the center of the wheel patch multiplied by the weight supported by the wheel is equal to the bending force on the bearings, technically called moment.

An ideal configuration has the bearings right over the wheel patch... the horizontal distance = 0 and there is no moment on the bearing group. Add a spacer, however, and there is a moment which, in turn, puts lateral stress on the bearings. To be honest, I don't think a 10 mm spacer will cause much harm either, but it is introducing stresses outside of the originally envisioned design stresses."

I'm not saying DONT use wheel spacers, ****, I use 25mm rear spacers and was going to use 15mm wheel spacers.

But to say they "but no1 anywhere has ever had wheel bearing issues from spacers" is absolute horseshit
Its like saying that remapping your car wont put extra stress on your turbo

Last edited:

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
So, What your telling me is that no load is placed in wheel bearings.
Infact... No damage can be done to wheel bearings by placing large spacers on cars where the weight is located?

I better reconsider vertical vs axial loads

"the horizonal lateral distance from the center of the wheel bearings to the center of the wheel patch multiplied by the weight supported by the wheel is equal to the bending force on the bearings, technically called moment.

An ideal configuration has the bearings right over the wheel patch... the horizontal distance = 0 and there is no moment on the bearing group. Add a spacer, however, and there is a moment which, in turn, puts lateral stress on the bearings. To be honest, I don't think a 10 mm spacer will cause much harm either, but it is introducing stresses outside of the originally envisioned design stresses."

I'm not saying DONT use wheel spacers, ****, I use 25mm rear spacers and was going to use 15mm wheel spacers.

But to say they "but no1 anywhere has ever had wheel bearing issues from spacers" is absolute horseshit
Its like saying that remapping your car wont put extra stress on your turbo

I never said no loads were applied to the spacers.

Without getting into a more boring technical argument and quoting similar to the above.

Maybe when I said no1 I exaggerated a little, but can you tell me of a few cases of bearing failure that was down to large spacers?

I use a few forums, and deal with modified cars evry day in life (specifically suspension) and have been about motorsport etc from a youg age.

And I can't personally quote one example of bearing failure due to spacers.

Theres a much of a risk fitting bigger wheels, wheels with the wrong offset etc but how many cars do that?

The only isue I would ever have with spacers (and only on the front) would be the amount of scrub radius you would introduce to the geometry.

Steering would be heavy, slower feeling and less direct.

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Can I start by offering my apologies, Very bad day in work combined with new medication and very bad hay fever and not reading what I write, appears to have turned me into a gigantic asshole and I've spoken very out of turn. I dont expect you to accept but I thought it time to man up.

I agree with you that theres as much "If not more" risk of causing damage via bigger and offset wheels.
I've read in many many places (Not just forums) regarding spacers on the front and even consulted Mechanics and people who use spacers for track use. I myself was worried about adding 20mm spacers to the front track of my cupra to have my Avus wheels fit

Most have said rear spacers wont really matter as the majority of the weight in my car is being carried at the front, Introducing front spacers however will increase width and move the geometry and load around. I'm not saying that after 1000 miles they will fail but putting those extra weights (Especially those huge steel buggers) and moving the geometry will only alter that which is nearly a perfectly tried and tested system...

Again... I use spacers and I will need to replace the wheel bearings sooner than someone with a standard setup, I'm not condoning it, Its just the way it works offsetting the wheels and moving them outwards only serves to put more stress on the inner components. Longer bolt method as opposed to the hubcentrics that bolt to the hub are generally considered safer as less load is being transferred through the bolts.
I imagine alot of the fear is generated by people using non-centric longer bolted spacers.

But still "Front" spacers only will reduce the life of the wheel bearings.

But then.. if we did nothing to our cars we'd probably not be here.
Again Apologies.

Post the link in here,
I got mine from Ebay for about £80, If I had a choice again however I'd go for the 20mm Hubcentric B+ FK spacers.

do you know anywhere to get these at a decent price? i only want rear wheel spacers because people on here say they make a nice difference to the handling.

i dont like the idea of going with heavy spacers although they probally dont make much difference to the lightweight spacers apart from weight.

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
do you know anywhere to get these at a decent price? i only want rear wheel spacers because people on here say they make a nice difference to the handling.

i dont like the idea of going with heavy spacers although they probally dont make much difference to the lightweight spacers apart from weight.

I and many folks on here have these bad boys. Cheapest by a margin but are heavy. Probably makes more of a difference in terms of handling/looks than any hindrance you might notice due to their weight!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20MM-Hubcentr...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5ad9cb111c

deanomite

Dec 21, 2008
Hull
I got some 6 spoke tt wheels for £100 they have the 20mm offset without the spacers 17x7.5 for some serious rubber aswell. less prone to curbing too :).

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members