20VT Engine into leon

gazbrum

Feb 27, 2009
Birmingham, UK
hi my mate recently bought a leon 1.4 but he has a 20vt engine lying about. was just wondering wat is needed alltogether to put this engine in? just simple answers please dnt get hating thanks

hi my mate recently bought a leon 1.4 but he has a 20vt engine lying about. was just wondering wat is needed alltogether to put this engine in? just simple answers please dnt get hating thanks

Assuming the engine is complete with gearbox, clocks, loom, ECU, exhaust etc etc (which you'll need) and you can fit it ok you'll also need upgraded brakes and suspension as a minimum to make it even vaguely safe to cope with the power. That and a fair amount for the insurance....

dave_ph

:)
Jul 12, 2006
Somerset
www.vagowners.co.uk
if i was him i would sell the car, and the engine and use the money from that to buy a leon cupra instead?! Won't have any issues with log book or anything and can sell it as a cupra then as well. Plus you will get all the extras like electric windows, climate control sports seats etc etc

cordoba lad

Back in the Midlands
May 24, 2005
Warwick
Personally I'd save all the hassle and get a Cupra, I love doing the mods myself, but what you are trying to replicate already exists. If he got it cheap then he could potentially make a profit should he sell it thus giving him more money to buy a Cupra.

Other things that may need to be considered are the braking system not just disc sizes and calipers but the master cylinder, servo and if you need a feed for a hydraulic clutch (1.4 may have a cable clutch). Rear brakes should also be considered.

All in all the amount of money needed to turn it into a 1.8t would be silly

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
tell him to keep the 1.4 leon to collect bits in then stick the 20vt in something more interesting

Neg.

May 11, 2007
Bristol
As said, its a pretty stupid idea. Why would you put it in a leon when Seat made a model with that engine in to start with? Re-inventing the wheel. Find something interesting to put that lump in.....

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
T reg golf is likely to be an AGU isnt it? So looking at K03 turbo and throttle cable. Good tuning potential but will require a few more bits than an AUM for example.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise