20VT LC slight splutter!!

ovni boy

I wonder if any of you guys can help......

Picked up my 2001 LC20VT before xmas from a main dealer and already been back in for new door locks at the front..... I have a 12 month warranty and have noticed this morning on the way to work, that the performance was a little erratic at lower revs, a slight splutter seems to occur at low revs while accelerating..... a friend of mine at work who used to own a revo'd LC said that it may need the plugs changing or an oil change..... even though the car was alledgedly serviced prior to me picking it up, i checked the oil at the weekend and it seems very dirty for a car that has done just under 2000 miles since it received it's 60K service. I am a newbie to Seat's and this web forum so please bear with me as I am not as technically au fait as some of the regular users of this site.....

I phoned the Seat dealer I bought the car from with a list of small things that I've found wrong with the car (ie. top engine cover screw loose, won't re-tighten / cable connector block in O/S door pillar broken / engine realease mechanism cover at front of engine bay has 3 clips broken so loose and rattling) and they said they may not be covered by the warranty..... just after some feedback on other peoples dealings with Seat main dealers and whether i need to get a little boisterous with them to get what I want, I am now questioning whether or not the service was actually carried out prior to me picking up the car.... any independant way of checking?

All views greatly received!!:)

Tony_Essex

Nov 27, 2001
Essex
Visit site
The throttle body may need cleaning. This isn't included in the service schedule, but depending on the type of driving the car has had it may need a good clean out. It is less likely to be the coil packs as these would cause notable problems at all revs. Other possible causes are the MAF or the even the dump valve. But I would start with the most likely and cheapest option first of cleaning the throttle body.

Tony

ovni boy

Cheers M8, no dump valve fitted so will look at getting the throttle body cleaned first, thanks for your help.........

ovni boy

cheers for that, new to this and the car, so learning more as each day passes !!

PABLO ESCABAR

formally CUPRASMIFF
Jun 26, 2005
staffordshire
ovni boy said:
cheers for that, new to this and the car, so learning more as each day passes !!
i had the same problems and vagcom gave my coolant senders and dump valve changed them but upgraded at the same time, it gave me a slight splutter afterwards so i cleaned the throttle body and had no pfobs since,got away without even needin them resettin. but if its under warrenty you dont really need to fret.:)

soper1981

Feb 26, 2005
re splutter

I have had a similar problem with mine on cold idle/driving off when cold, like a miss-fire and general hesitation and then it runs fine when its hot. I like the throttle body cleaning theory but how do you go about cleaning it???

andih98uk

I've got a Leon Cupra now but my last Leon which was a 1.8SE needed some new Spark Plug leads when it started to have a tiny misfire and a splutter, might be worth a cheap and quick change

paul h

Dec 22, 2005
Lincoln
andih98uk said:
I've got a Leon Cupra now but my last Leon which was a 1.8SE needed some new Spark Plug leads when it started to have a tiny misfire and a splutter, might be worth a cheap and quick change
they don't have leads on the 20vt they have coilpacks insted

PABLO ESCABAR

formally CUPRASMIFF
Jun 26, 2005
staffordshire
soper1981 said:
I have had a similar problem with mine on cold idle/driving off when cold, like a miss-fire and general hesitation and then it runs fine when its hot. I like the throttle body cleaning theory but how do you go about cleaning it???
undo a jubileee clip pull off pipe and spray some throttle body cleaner in then use the wifes toothbrush and make it shine as easy as that mate any probs PM me after 5:D ;)

ovni boy

Cheers guys, will try the throttle body clean tomorrow!! Thanks again for the help......

soper1981

Feb 26, 2005
cuprasmiff said:
undo a jubileee clip pull off pipe and spray some throttle body cleaner in then use the wifes toothbrush and make it shine as easy as that mate any probs PM me after 5:D ;)
Sounds easy enough but where is the throttle body on the Cupras? Once found, I think the bird will be looking for a new toothbrush ha ha

PABLO ESCABAR

formally CUPRASMIFF
Jun 26, 2005
staffordshire
soper1981 said:
Sounds easy enough but where is the throttle body on the Cupras? Once found, I think the bird will be looking for a new toothbrush ha ha
hhmmm explain this 1:think:
at the front top of the engine there is a large metal section that runs along the front of the engine follow that to the end and just above the allternator there is a unit with plugs and leads comin from it also is a large blck pipe goin to the left bottom of the car,take the large pipe off the unit the unit is the throttle bodyand slowly and without pressure push the flap open but gently then spray in the cleaner ,use wifes toothbrushonly the wife worked i try'd alsorts but hers worked best;) clean gently but do a good job then put back together wait a few mins for the cleaner to evap and try to start the car,it may take a bit but dont worry it will start. hopefully this does the job,after doin this tho the car may run lumpi if so off to the stealer to get the trottle body reset on vagcom but its a 50/50 chance you take sorry but i didnt need resettin so hopefully you wont ,just be gentle and carefull and take your time should be alright
let me know how you get on fingers crossed for ya:thumbup:

Last edited:

PABLO ESCABAR

formally CUPRASMIFF
Jun 26, 2005
staffordshire
CupraUK said:
I think cold stuttering is normal. Mine is the same, as you say, let it warm up and every thing is cool (well hot)
very comon fault on all the mk4 golfs audis and leons with our engine,unfortunatly were dooomed i tells ya:p

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Throttle body reset? You mean the alignment bit? You can do this by disconnecting the battery for 5mins or so (remember codes for stereo etc), reconnect the battery, start ignition but NOT engine and leave car sitting there for a bit, NOT TOUCHING accl. pedal. You'll hear a high pitch wine as its all realigned.

bigd

Dec 29, 2005
Anywhere
Where's the best place to get the throttle body cleaner from? What brand is recommended?

Sorry for the dump questions!

PABLO ESCABAR

formally CUPRASMIFF
Jun 26, 2005
staffordshire
bigd said:
Where's the best place to get the throttle body cleaner from? What brand is recommended?

Sorry for the dump questions!
wurth carberator cleaner/injection cleaner from most car shops or halfords should do it;) ;)