Potential Boost Issue

Nov 25, 2023
Hi All,
Hope life is treating us all fairly.

I purchased an '02 Cupra 20v 1.8t back in August last year. The car has served me well, and I'm looking to keep it for a long time.
From purchase, I've noticed an issue with boost and wanted some help to be pointed in the correct direction.

When on the road, I find that boost begins to build and then stops for a split second, holding the boost, before building again. This happens several times throughout the rev range and across all gears. The issue is most apparent when I am at full throttle & is quite noticeable. I have checked for any codes with no luck there which leads me to think this is more of a mechanical issue as opposed to a electrical one. I may well be wrong in that sense though.

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
A faulty N75 valve can cause that on/off boost effect. It's a pretty easy DIY job to change.
The rubber diaphragm in the recirculation valve can also age and stop it working. Another easy change.
I've always swapped these two on every Leon I've ever bought just as a matter of course.
They never throw a code even if they're faulty.

Reactions: av07 and BadBoy03

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Go OEM

They used to be about £30 back in the day 😞

Forge recirc valves are good. You can safely go second hand

OEM is here

Again, used to cost a lot less!

Reactions: av07
Nov 25, 2023
Go OEM

They used to be about £30 back in the day 😞

Forge recirc valves are good. You can safely go second hand

OEM is here

Again, used to cost a lot less!
I appreciate the suggestions here.

Understandably part prices have gone up but thank you for providing me with some links non the less.

Regards.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.