22mm Master Cylinder Question

jonmk2

Mar 22, 2006
Hi, does anybody know if you can use the original fluid reservoir off a 1.4 on a 22mm Master cylinder when upgrading, or do you have to use a 16v golf one? Cheers, Jon

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
Hi, does anybody know if you can use the original fluid reservoir off a 1.4 on a 22mm Master cylinder when upgrading, or do you have to use a 16v golf one? Cheers, Jon

Yes, but buy a gunuine bendix item as some pattern ones dont have the lugs that the resovior attaches to

jonmk2

Mar 22, 2006
Cheers Stu, I already have a Master Cylinder to go on, its a brax pattern but has a vw part number on the side? The reason I questioned was because of the lugs, it has holes instead of the studs that the one thats on has. Any ideas ?

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
I had the same issue on mine, although the seals ontop were firm enough to hold the resovoir firmly in place, in retrospect I could of soursed a but of metal rod to act as lugs and glue them in with JB weld .

jonmk2

Mar 22, 2006
Yeah I was thinking of doing something like that. Just holding the plastic tabs down with self tappers into the holes. I was just checking that the reservoir actually fitted on ok. Thanks for clearing that up, Much appreciated. I can finish my brake upgrade now. jon

jonmk2

Mar 22, 2006
How come you need to change the reservoir ? A vw part no. is 358611301a coming up as £21.20 +vat. Jon

jonmk2

Mar 22, 2006
Hi Jamin, Im changing the hubs, and upgrading to 256mm Golf 16v Calipers and groved discs. Will post pictures when complete. Just finishing my rear arb at the moment. Jon

jonmk2

Mar 22, 2006
The pins that the reservoir clip onto is one bar that is detachable, held on with a circlip. This can be reused on a non oe cylinder, hence why theres holes instead of pins. Just thought I'd clear this up. Pics Illustrate better. New m/c on right.
cyls.jpg

cyl.jpg

Seeing as im posting pictures, the hub nut was VERY tight. Thats a Bedford (made in uk) Breaker bar.

bar.jpg

Working towards end product

mock.jpg

Jon

jonmk2

Mar 22, 2006
Ive just read through your brake upgrade thread jamin, looking good. Should have got some braided lines for mine thinking about it. Im going 256mm so that if i need to put the standard wheels back on it they go over without a problem. Also the biggest part is changing the hubs, so im leaving my options open for the future.

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
A 3ft breaker bar will crack that, Ive still got my old master cylinder from the Ibiza and indeed the pin does come out - wish I had spotted that. Still it stayed on without problems

jonmk2

Mar 22, 2006
I invested in a 3/4" socket set, that sorted it out. I've done the brakes and got everything back together, changed the fluid and all. The brakes are still shite. Bloody Ibizas.

jonmk2

Mar 22, 2006
I used a pressure bleed kit, never used one before now. Obv, the pads have to bed in before I can tell what type of bite it will give, but theres still loooaads of pedal travel, same as well worn out 239mms.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise