270 lbft of torque & standard clutch - Is this ok?

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
Guys – I had my car on a rolling road last weekend at TSR (r/r day organised by Ben aka Boomhauer on the forum) and my torque figure was higher than I was expecting at 270lb/ft. I have a standard clutch which has done over 100k miles, is this safe or should I be looking at either de-tuning or upgrading the clutch to something else? It seems ok at the moment (touches wood) but not sure how long it'll last...

Cheers.

chrissy1502002

Search Button Ambassador
Jun 12, 2007
Portsmouth (ish)
www.bebo.com
I wouldnt worry to much. The previous owner of mine had a new standard clutch fitted at 50K and im now on 80K and it has been running 323 lbft of torque since the clutch change and is still fine.

Like Robbie said, dont fix it if it aint broke :)

ian_cupra

mines been running 280+ for 2 years now and only slips after i have been doing 1/4 mile, then stops again after a few weeks, and i've been running hybrid for last year now :)

wouldnt worry about it until it starts slipping alot really

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, I was also thinking leave if it it aint broke, but at the same time would like not to kill it! It doesn't get a pounding so should be fine...

Have also searched the forum for clutches and if it does start to slip, a VR6 single mass converson seems like a good option...
Cheers guys.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.