296bhp new Cupra R?

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
According to the bottom of this article the new Golf R is likely to be around 276BHP

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/volkswagen-polo-r-coincide-wrc-effort

If like the Leon Mk2 the top end Leon Mk3 FR TSi gets the Golf GTI engine, then where does this leave a Cupra? 250ish BHP?

The golf probably will be around 270 ish , but it will be the same engine as the new S3 , but the S3 will have slightly better intercooler and different mapping.

It's always the same , ed30 230 bhp, Cupra 240 S3 267 all the same engine.

So I see the same formula being used on the next generation of vag cars as well

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
Get an S3 instead.

I've just specced up a Golf R to match an S3 I found at a dealers with 10 miles on the clock and the Golf was £4k more expensive, despite not coming with BOSE stereo etc.

£37,590?!!! :wtf:

GTF, it's still only a Golf....

Sast

Feb 17, 2012
Wigan
Get an S3 instead.

I've just specced up a Golf R to match an S3 I found at a dealers with 10 miles on the clock and the Golf was £4k more expensive, despite not coming with BOSE stereo etc.

Ye that's the ballpark price I was getting too :/

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
Get an S3 instead.

Very easy to get an S3 to that price too - but it'll still feel dull. Currently waiting for a refresh on both so getting one is difficult. Golf has more character IMO. Still, untouched BMW gave me a massive smile over a stage 2 Golf R, and the S3 was numb.

Ryan20

Sep 28, 2009
Hampshire
from what i've been told from a go source the new Leon Cupra with have 240bhp but with be just as quick as the out going Cupra R anybody hoping that the Leon comes with 4wd is have a very big laugh as mention Volkswagen won't allow the Leon to out do the Golf same as Auid won't allow the the Golf to out do the A3 but all review's so far have said that if anything it's on par with the Golf and better vaule for money if you can live with a SEAT badge bring on Geneva for the 3dr version!!

Sep 17, 2011
not saying your wrong but why would the mk3 be 240 when the mk2 is 240, cars usually always progress slightly in bhp.

kenboon

May 28, 2005
Derby
The body weight may be reduced. This will be good for both better performance and better economy :)

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Cupra may become a trim level much like FR did. You were only able to get FR with 170bhp TDi or 200bhp TFSi in 2007 yet it can be had with less bhp now with the same badge.

Ryan20

Sep 28, 2009
Hampshire
Regarding the power figure it came from Autocar who did a interview with head of Seat and was quoted as saying the the Mk3 Leon Cupra is 50/50 ( Bluffing ) and that they could go with 240bhp and a lighter body but assured it was be as quick as the out going Cupra R which wouldn't be a bad thing as I would prefer a lighter model

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
from what i've been told from a go source the new Leon Cupra with have 240bhp but with be just as quick as the out going Cupra R anybody hoping that the Leon comes with 4wd is have a very big laugh as mention Volkswagen won't allow the Leon to out do the Golf same as Auid won't allow the the Golf to out do the A3 but all review's so far have said that if anything it's on par with the Golf and better vaule for money if you can live with a SEAT badge bring on Geneva for the 3dr version!!

Sorry mate don't see that , the Cupra will have the new variant TSI engine mated to a ko4 or ihi equivalent as they have done on the TSI of today and will be at least the same out put of today's Cupra R withe the Cupra R variant probably getting a slight power hike maybe 280 bhp

Seat will look to push boundaries not be pegged back , and it will go head to head with the vxr output figures.

Ryan20

Sep 28, 2009
Hampshire
Fair enough and i do see your point about next gen model's getting more power but i'm pretty sure Autocar would publish crap and i'm sure Seat know what there doing if they do keep it at 240bhp it's not all about power!