380bhp K1 (Now with a couple of short vid clips)

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
Impressive numbers, I think i'll take mine down to AMD and see how they compare to the Dyno Dynamics rollers.

Seriously though, nice build and great numbers, good benchmark and a target for the modders.

My power graph at stage 1 was 'lumpy' and under-performed for some reason but hopefully get to the bottom of it soon

mine read 28Hp less on DD rollers when at stage 2 bluefin. you knowyou r car has good power if you make the figures on the DD rollers

Al

Aug 29, 2005
then all you will need then is WMI and a flowed head and your car will be the best a k1 can be!

And uprated cams, and lightened pulleys, and lightened flywheel, and lightened discs, and decat, and hybrid turbo, and Cupra bumpers etc etc etc. You need to draw the line somewhere.

Poverty

And uprated cams, and lightened pulleys, and lightened flywheel, and lightened discs, and decat, and hybrid turbo, and Cupra bumpers etc etc etc. You need to draw the line somewhere.

yeah that is true, but I bet when many of us started we drew the line at the map, but then as time passes we do bit by bit.

Im sure some people will end up doing those things you have mentioned, usually upgrading them as they break the oem part.

I think one mod that alot of us should have but dont is a WOT box. Will be doing that soon aswell, will finally get some flamming and small popping then also

Al

Aug 29, 2005
I think the economics and bhp gains per £ spent start to diminish at some point though. When you think how much it costs to get to this kind of power, which is big turbo power on a 1.8T, on the scale of things, its quite cheap.

That being said, the cost to take off turbo, have it hybridised and re-installed, then go for another map to take advantage, its not cheap.

Also just how effective would WMI be? Possibly very effective, but nobody has done it yet on here or MK5 Golfs as far as I know, other than Dan, and I am not sure he has had back to back runs done with WMI running, and without. Even if he did, two subsequent runs can be so different - look at the runs on post 1 of this thread as an example.

Lightened pulleys may well work like a lightened flywheel with regard to reducing the work the engine has to do, but are lightened pulleys safe without the damping of the OEM set up? Decat is ok, but only if you are willing to buy a specific pipe or hack up a Milltek. Lightened 2 piece discs reduce rolling mass, but at the cost of several hundred notes, same as lighter seats, lighter wheels, lightened flywheel which makes lots of noise etc.

Being honest, I am really going to try and screw the cap on mods after this week as I dont think a few extra hp for a few hundred or a thousand notes here and there is going to be worthwhile in reality, especially on the road where my car will spend 99% of its time. After all, a standard Cupra will keep up with the one in post 1 off the mark, and a remap only Cupra will live with the car in post 1 up to approx 70-80mph which is as fast as you can legally go on the road. Only at that point will the extra power be noticeable. An extra 10-20bhp more again on to a Cupra with all the bolt ons and 360bhp is really not going to make night and day difference to performance. A strict diet would be a much more effective option at making the car go faster (ie no back seats etc etc)

cfcmick

Nov 11, 2006
Essex Boy
not possibly mate, they are the best mod IMO for the suspension. made much mor of an impact than the coilovers or walk

Got offered to buy some recently at a good price by OwenLCR but declined as had already spent loads at the time. Will definatey look into it when my bank account is a bit more healthy ;)

You need to draw the line somewhere.
You certainly do...
For a car that spends most of it's time on the roads, where the majority are in pretty poor state of repair, I think this will do for now.
You just can't (legally) get the full benefit of the mods we have on out cars without running risks and luck always runs out eventually.

At the end of the day BHP figures will vary so much from various different rolling road set ups as we all know. Settings can be "tweaked" to keep the customer happy.
The power is going to be around that mark give or take a handful of horses. If it's 380 or 350 makes no odds. All I know is it's bloody quick :)

My print out says nearly 380 which allows me to wave my willy a little bit harder :lol:

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
whaqt is the benefits of fitting a wot rather than getting anti-lag

i know anit-lag retards timing and WOT cuts timing but which is better? does it do any harm to car?

cupra-k1

Good results mate :) but am I the only one to spit the low torque there???

I know mine is 360bhp with 362 lbs....

U need to come put with us Mick. :)

For a litle blast round etc

cfcmick

Nov 11, 2006
Essex Boy
Good results mate :) but am I the only one to spit the low torque there???

I know mine is 360bhp with 362 lbs....

U need to come put with us Mick. :)

For a litle blast round etc

I did notice that yeah.
When I first had stage 2 done it was 339 bhp & 349lb torque
Could it be the way the RR was set up? Dunno :confused:

I keep meaning to get to Lakeside to meet up with you others but I just don't get the time :(
I'll get there one day though ;)

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
TBH i would say incorrectly set up dyno, bhp and torque are always very similar but its obviously healthy and feels strong on the road then thats what matters.

Nice vids but always difficult to get the power down in this weather.

Cupra-k1 didnt you make 320ish at the last rr day on DD rollers :whistle:.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.