51 Plate toledo Turbo problem?

billa79

Hi guys.

I dont know if anyone can help me but i am having a problem with my car.
I have a seat toledo 1.9 TDI 51 plate.
When i change between 2nd and 3rd gear i hear a hissing noise or it seems like the car is not picking up to full turbo for a second or two.
Whenever i take the car to a garage for them to test it they never hear anything and i dont do. Weird.

Has anyone ever experienced this before or anything simalar?

I dont know if its the turbo that needs replaced or it may be something else.

lamchops85

i got my toledo remapped and it increased the loudness of the turbo, i also replaced the turbo wen it gave in. even though it has a new turbo in her, it still makes a loud hissing sound than before it got remapped.

sure the thr full torque of the turbo doesn't really kick in until you put ur foot down and its reaching 2000rpm. but my turbo sometimes slack off cos of it heatin up a bit.

It could be ur airflow meter, my m8 had the simlar problem n he thought it was the turbo but it ended up bein the airflow meter being damaged n nw replaced his car is running well

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
billa79 wrote

When i change between 2nd and 3rd gear i hear a hissing noise or it seems like the car is not picking up to full turbo for a second or two.
Whenever i take the car to a garage for them to test it they never hear anything and i dont do. Weird.

What revs do you perform the 2-3 change at ? If you drop below 1800 rpm or so in the higher gear then the turbo isn't giving much boost, and you will get a sluggish pickup. The answer is to change gear at higher revs.

billa79

hello guys.

right im still having problems with my car. its the same problem im having above.
when changing gears and revs are between 2000/3000 the car actually hikups or its loosing speed for few seconds. (hope that makes any sense). im looked around on this furom but im not sure if im looking at any thread that matches my problems.

any help if anyone understands what im trying to explain?

lamchops85

think u mite b lossing pressure somewhere, as more pressure builds up in your hoses to the intake manifold at higher revs. so there mite b a leak somewhere. hope this helps.

billa79

thanks for replying.

Where would you advice me to start from?
Im having difficulties explaining this to any of the garages i go to. They all say one thing and that is (Sounds like your turbo is knackered).

lamchops85

how many miles r on ur car? do u do many frequent oil changes? to b honest i don't really know where to start, but i suggest from the intake manifold.

billa79

its nearly done 100k on the car and i got a service done last month. i got vavaline oil put in to it.
i will get the garage to check the turbo and see if that needs cleaned.
(Some lazy garage workers here who dont want to do it).

Or maybe if someone else who has had this problem may be able to point me in the right direction?

Im planning in doing a total of around 800 miles trip from glasgow to london and back, and i dont want to be pulled up on the hard shoulder because of this hicup i hear.

Last edited by a moderator:

billa79

Thanks for helping me.
Im on the phone to the garage asking about the MAF sensor. The link you gave me sounds like the problem im having. Hopefully this could be the problem im havng (god knows).

I will post results once i either get this changed or get more information from the garage.

tolly_tdi

diesel power
Dec 13, 2008
York
I would say check the MAF sensor first off - if you have VAG-com great! also may be small a boost leak as turbos usually work or don't the're pretty simple creatures!

also try as muttley has suggested changing at higher revs or stay in same gear - may third and see if the acceleration picks up much later in the rev range

Last edited:

billa79

can i disconnent the Maf clip and start my car and see if i get any better or poor performance?
Im thinking of buying a new MAF and having that put in myself.

tolly_tdi

diesel power
Dec 13, 2008
York
sure disconnect the MAF and notice the difference it will be really sluggish.

If its a 51 plate check your car's history if its got same maf recommend changing it

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.