6mile race with M3

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
well i have got to post this, i was going through to the town on yesterday(sunday) and all of a sudden a red M3 arrives swiftly behind me, so i decide to go for it to see if he wants to show me up!!! And yes he geos for it, about 2 miles pass and he still is about 5 car lengths behind me so i decide to indicate for him to pass me which he did, i then floor it and see if i can keep up. To my surprise i stayed right behind him... I could not catch him but he also was not pulling away from me!!! Bet he was gutted[:@] :censored:

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
We all know that the LCR is the fastest car in the universe and nothing will ever be able to outrun it... Not even light.

Hmm... now where's the sarcastic clapping thing on this?

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
I assume this was on a private road ;)

Anyhow I think there are two things here;-
1st - I think this demonstrates that you need huge power advantages to blow another car away, not 10 or 20 bhp
2nd - You never know the ability of the other driver i.e, could be very poor

Nice to see the LCR doing well anyway

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
aw yeah it was on a private road i forgot. i also agree with you on the greater power statement, even tho i still get a good shock at how deceptively fast these cars really are

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
Owen, ive had similar run ins with M3's and everyone always says the other driver werent trying hard. These threads have come up in the past and so many people say the M3 couldnt have been trying!

What even when both drivers are doing twice the speed limit:) ;)

They are definitely quicker but certainly not by much, and not by as much as people would like to think:)

They are lovely cars though and i would drop the LCR like a shot to have 1:)

Just need to find that 30-40k :D

edited to say (remapped LCR's of course) M3 would have a standard R for breakfast :D

Last edited:

Georgie

WADDA YA WANT.. EH?!
Nov 27, 2005
FLEET
We all know that the LCR is the fastest car in the universe and nothing will ever be able to outrun it... Not even light.

Hmm... now where's the sarcastic clapping thing on this?

indeed sir, they have lapped F1 cars many a time. tis amazing how such a fast car is road legal.

Feb 8, 2004
uk
Visit site
lamborghini regularly used to phone me when I had my LCR and ask if they could bench mark their latest motors against it, they never stood a chance... ;) :bleh:

dj_hektik

LEON 20VT FR
lamborghini regularly used to phone me when I had my LCR and ask if they could bench mark their latest motors against it, they never stood a chance... ;) :bleh:

what? Lamborghini? wow they are spending on R&D aren't they.

Maybe now they are part of VAG they want to be the fastest. of course, Bugatti did the right thing and learned a lot from our cars when they developed the Veyron. Did you know that the Veyron shares 1,343 components with the Leon? and the Cupra R splitter and fabia wiper fits on with minor mods.

dj_hektik

LEON 20VT FR

what? Lamborghini? wow they are spending on R&D aren't they.

Maybe now they are part of VAG they want to be the fastest. of course, Bugatti did the right thing and learned a lot from our cars when they developed the Veyron. Did you know that the Veyron shares 1,343 components with the Leon?

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
when i get to 88mph in my leon i can travel in time!!!

Funny you should mention that, as when I took my LCR for a test drive the salesman - a older guy with fuzzy white hair - kept saying "when this baby hits 88mph, where gonna see some serious shi....."

I just thought he had an incontinence problem! :shrug: ;)

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Aside of all this mockery and sarcasm I would lke to add this. I've had 2 LCR's, both in various states of tuning.

When I went out to find the replacement I was amazed how much money I would need to spend to find something 'significantly' faster.

I test drove:

Golf GTi Mk5
Golf R32
Audi A3 2.0T FSi
Audi A3 3.2 v6 Quattro S-Line
Audi TT 3.2V6 Mk2
Audi S4 4.2 V8 (Cabrio and avant)
BMW M3
BMW M3 CS
BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0
Mercedes C350 V6
Merc C320CDi
Merc C55AMG
Merc E55AMG
Mitsi Evo 9 FQ320
Nissan 350Z GT

None of the above could be accused of being slow cars (apart from maybe the MB 320CDi), but other than the E55 AMG nothing was what I'd call lightening faster than the LCR.

2 of the salesmen (a guy from Mercedes Bishop Stortford and **** Lovett BMW) drove our LCR to ensure it was worthy of trade in and both were astounded by how quick it was for an £18k hatchback. At times I really had to question that I really wanted to be replacing it as I do love it very very much, and if money was no object I'd be keeping it as a weekend hack. I only had a 2nd as at the time I missed it so much I couldn't live without it after I'd sold the first.

They are no M3 as the handling is in another league, but on the fly in a straight line they aren't far off the pace (with map etc...).

I know there is a tendency for these threads to turn into a 'LCR is fastest' scenario, but considering the agedness of the 20VT lump and the Mk1 Leon bodyshell/suspension I think it marks a great car, and one that punches well above its weight for its pretentions.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Some would say foolishly I ordered the S3 based on the fact it is the closest car to an LCR but with 4wd. Placing an order on a £0+k car you've never seen is a very tough decision based on the fact you don't even rate the current S4.

Of course some of the other cars were much better than the LCR/S3, but they were either 2nd hand with fair mileage on them, had astronomical running costs (E55 AMG & FQ320 for instance), or they were just too focussed to be lent to the wife on the odd occasion she wanted to borrow it. Could I ethically lend her a car with rear wheel drive and 343bhp when she has very little driving experience?!! It had to be safe, but ultimately quick(ish).

I am toying with the idea of keeping the R as the thought of selling it makes me sick, but the missus doesn't like it to drive. As we share a car and we both put money in we both have to like it to some extent.

I loved the FQ320 other than its cheapness, but for the missus it was just too raw. Also the nearest dealer was 32 miles away and with it needing servicing every 4500 miles it would be a pain in the arse. The audi dealership is round the corner from our house. The S3 was the closest match to having some of what we've got, with a little more plushness. Surprisingly the normally aspirated V8 Audi we tested felt flat as a pancake. I'm such a turbo junkie now.

On balance many of the cars tested above left a lot to be desired for the money. I had held a lot of them in very high esteem in my head, but know am somewhat bemused. The S4 although a good car was just a fatmans barge. They should have left it as a 2.7 biturbo, not a fat V8 with no urgency,

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
This may sound awful, but at least with the S3 it should be easy enough to sell without losing much money, should you decide you really don't like it once you have bought it. I imagine there will be somewhat of a waiting list for them.

InfernalBadger

Sep 6, 2006
Berkshire
I'd love one of the new S3's. Dread to think how much it's costing you though. :D

Couldn't you just keep the LCR and buy something cheap and girly for the wife? ;)

warren_cox

Back from the dead
I'd love one of the new S3's. Dread to think how much it's costing you though. :D

Couldn't you just keep the LCR and buy something cheap and girly for the wife? ;)

Problem is the missus wants a 'prestige brand' car, not for the badge, but for the niceties. I want a fast car that can put its power down well and doesn't rattle much.

As we both work and live together I refuse to pay out for 2 lots of insurance, depreciation, tax, running costs etc.... (particularly as I would inevitably hate the car she would choose!).

Instead we share one car, and try and cappture what we both want in one car, which is much harder than it sounds. If the S3 is rubbish we guesstimate we will only lose a couple of thousand tops as there are so few about. Its well specced and not an oddball colour so it should shift quick. With its transmission loss I doubt it will be any quicker than a new Leon Cupra.

It's costing about £33.5k with AutoGlym, GAP insurance +, RS4 alloys, tints and Revo (guesstimating). Its shameful to think we could have had a lovely M3 CS for that money, but I'm hoping despite the mixed reviews it will deliver at least what we are used to with just a few more niceties to boot. Its a shame that to depart from the Leon has cost so much, but I've just never quite got my head around the new styling of the Mk2.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.