7 Speed DQ381 service - anyone done one ?

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Has anyone successfully done one of these themselves ?
How did you get on ? Did it, 100% success
Did you drain the mechatronic unit also ? (as per workshop manual) - Yes
Did you unscrew the overflow pipe 2 turns during the fill procedure ? (as per workshop manual) - No Red fill pipe doesn’t get loosened 2 turns, it’s a shorter pipe. See page 229 of the OGC 2020 workshop manual linked below.
What torque did you use on the oil filter housing ? (workshop manual states 50nm which seems high) - Yup it was 50nm

I'm getting the parts together to do it myself, i've watched dozens of youtube videos but sadly there isn't any for this particular gearbox which is the 7 speed DQ381 with code 0GC and there is some crucial differences on this gearbox versus the 6 speed or 7 speed DQ500 boxes that there is loads of videos for. - Update couple of good vids linked below

Firstly, the oil filter is horizontal on the DQ381 and not vertical like every other box, and also comes with a heat shield.
The workshop manual states it gets torqued up to 50nm which is 30nm higher than every video and guide for the other boxes - It is 50nm see attached manual, also make sure you put plenty of rags around it as oil will spill out over the gearbox. For access I just removed the air intake pipe

Secondly, the manual states that you drain the mechatronic unit as well the main oil during the drain procedure. But doesn't show you how to fill it - so it must get filled in the normal fill procedure, is this correct ? - Yep drain this as well and it gets filled when you fill the main section.

FYI Here is a list of parts i've collected so far for doing the procedure.

Oil 6 litres - G055529A
Oil Filter - 0GC325183A
Oil filter O-ring- N91084501
Drain plug washer - N0438092
Drain plug - N90215404 (can be reused)
Mechatronic drain washer - N0138132
Mechatronic drain plug - N90965401 (can be reused, but I nearly striped the thread off mine, it’s was tight, will need a new one next time)
Oil filler VAS6262 - (I didn't get this instead made a DIY system from a 5L garden sprayer and a DSG fill adapter off eBay, pic below)
6D7C3120-6E35-4A19-B354-6BC06203D5F6.jpeg

DSG fill adapter - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18546087...-ZJdOpBTxO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Decent set of hex bits for the drain plugs and torque wrench for the filter, see the Vids below for what sizes I can’t remember.
OBD11 (or VCDS) to check oil temps during filling procedure and reset adaptations afterwards

EDIT++ Update on some bits here
Latest OGC geabox manual
"7-speed-dual-clutch-gearbox-0gc-eng-2020"

Couple of pretty good youtube vids of the procedure

or this one, bear in mind hes got it wrong regarding the Red fill pipe (based on the latest manual posted above) but the rest is pretty good.

Last edited:

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Has anyone successfully done one of these themselves ?
How did you get on ?
Did you drain the mechatronic unit also ? (as per workshop manual)
Did you unscrew the overflow pipe 2 turns during the fill procedure ? (as per workshop manual)
What torque did you use on the oil filter housing ? (workshop manual states 50nm which seems high)

I'm getting the parts together to do it myself, i've watched dozens of youtube videos but sadly there isn't any for this particular gearbox which is the 7 speed DQ381 with code 0GC and there is some crucial differences on this gearbox versus the 6 speed or 7 speed DQ500 boxes that there is loads of videos for.

Firstly, the oil filter is horizontal on the DQ381 and not vertical like every other box, and also comes with a heat shield.
The workshop manual states it gets torqued up to 50nm which is 30nm higher than every video and guide for the other boxes (page 73 of attached manual)

Secondly, the manual states that you drain the mechatronic unit as well the main oil during the drain procedure. But doesn't show you how to fill it - so it must get filled in the normal fill procedure, is this correct ? (page 79, 85 & 86 of attached manual)

Thirdly, during the level setting procedure where you let oil drain out with the engine running, the manual states that you loosen the plastic overflow pipe by 2 turns - so the oil level is actually way below the top of the pipe when its properly screwed in. If this is indeed true why haven't they just made the overflow pipe shorter ? I note I have not seen this procedure in any of the videos i've watched on the other gearboxes. Is this procedure specific to the DQ381 0GC ? (page 83 of attached manual)

There is a link here which describes the procedure (minus changing the oil filter):

Here is link to the workshop manual:

FYI Here is a list of parts i've collected so far for doing the procedure.
Oil 6 litres - G055529A
Oil Filter - 0GC325183A
Oil filter O-ring- N91084501
Drain plug washer - N0438092
Mechtronic drain washer - N0138132
Oil filler VAS6262
Have not done this procedure on this gearbox but looks similar to other auto boxes including the overflow pipe and setting the oil level with the engine running and warm. Undoing the overflow pipe 2 turns will just lower it 2x it's thread pitch - probably a couple mm, just follow the manual, note the very low torque for this pipe.

An important point is checking the gearbox oil temperature using a diagnostic interface, presume you can do this?

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Cheers for that.
Yeah I’ve got OBD11 for temp monitoring.

Ive recently tracked down a 2020 7 speed DSG 0GC manual, albeit for Skoda.
Assume it’s the same gearbox.

It has a couple of revisions vs the 2017 Seat and 2018 VW ones I’ve got for this Gearbox.

Firstly is states intial fill in the gearbox is 7.2ltrs and 6-6.5ltrs needed for oil service.
(Vs something like 6.2ltrs and 5.5-6ltrs in the older manuals)

Secondly, regarding the fill pipe, it states there is 2 versions. Beige and Red.
Beige fill pipe needs loosening x2 turns during level setting.
Red fill pipe does not !!

Seems legit as I’ve actually bought a spare fill pipe and it is a Red and it’s a bit shorter than other fill pipes I’ve seen.
(Gearbox Oil Pipe Red 0GC321363 )

Will update this thread when I’ve done the service next week hopefully.

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
Cheers for that.
Yeah I’ve got OBD11 for temp monitoring.

Ive recently tracked down a 2020 7 speed DSG 0GC manual, albeit for Skoda.
Assume it’s the same gearbox.

It has a couple of revisions vs the 2017 Seat and 2018 VW ones I’ve got for this Gearbox.

Firstly is states intial fill in the gearbox is 7.2ltrs and 6-6.5ltrs needed for oil service.
(Vs something like 6.2ltrs and 5.5-6ltrs in the older manuals)

Secondly, regarding the fill pipe, it states there is 2 versions. Beige and Red.
Beige fill pipe needs loosening x2 turns during level setting.
Red fill pipe does not !!

Seems legit as I’ve actually bought a spare fill pipe and it is a Red and it’s a bit shorter than other fill pipes I’ve seen.
(Gearbox Oil Pipe Red 0GC321363 )

Will update this thread when I’ve done the service next week hopefully.
Thread revival but how did you get on?

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Yeah complete success, I forgot to update this thread.
Did it a while ago.

Car had the Red fill pipe anyway so didn’t need to bother messing around loosening that off during level setting.

Mechatronic unit got drained also, no issues.

Took 6 ltrs of oil during filling, I bought 7 just in case but didn’t open one.

Only thing to watch out for on this gearbox is changing the oil filter, bring horizontal you need to make sure you place rags or absorbent material around it as oil leaks out onto the gearbox when removing it and gets in all sorts of nooks and crannies if your not careful.

Reactions: Cupra R

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Just make sure you’ve got a decent set of tools to remove and then retighten everything.

Oh forgot to add in above post

The plug on the mechatronic was a ******* to remove, it might have started life as a torx of some size, but I striped it and ended up using a large Allen /hex key on it which did the job in the end.
I’ll need a new one next time however.

I also made a diy oil pump out of a 5ltr garden sprayed that worked perfectly so the oil filling was easy.

I used OBD11 to reset adaptations afterward also.

Last edited:

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
I might get a new plug then too just to be on the safe side. Thanks for the heads up.
We’re you able to torque the filter housing up ok? It looks to be tight back there. I have found quite a good video on YouTube for this now.
I know you’ve completed it now, but for any others thinking of doing it, do you agree with this video now you’ve completed it?

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
This video wasn’t available when I did mine.
Re the filter housing, no need to remove the battery, I did mine by removing my air intake hose only and reaching down over the top.

I was then able to get a torque wrench in vertically to tighten, but only had a couple inches left and right movement so it took a while to tighten. Only went up to about 20/25nm I think cos that felt tight enough.

regarding the filling process, only loosen the fill pipe x2 turns off you have a beige fill pipe, red one doesn’t need loosing off as it’s already shorter (correct fill level)

PS if you get a new mechatronic plug can you send me the part number. I’ll make sure I get one for next time.

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
Hi Slickric21

I’ve been informed the drain plug and washer are part numbers N 902 154 04 and N 909 654 01.
I’ve not bought them though as of yet for proof.

Reactions: Slickric21

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Cheers for that.
I’ll order one next time.

The mechatronic drain washer I ordered with part no in OP was a perfect for btw.
I think some parts are duplicated

EDIT:
Those part numbers are the main drain plug and washer, not the Mechatronic ones I asked for.
I’ve since found them and they are listed in the OP.

Last edited:

Lord_Nikkon

Jul 18, 2020
Poland
does anyone use insted G055529A - RAVENOL DCT/DSG Getriebe Fluid?

According to website it's fullfill spec of OEM fluid.

Lord_Nikkon

Jul 18, 2020
Poland
Thanks for answer. I spoke with big polish company which repairs DSG and they said that they are always using Ravenol, because it's keep properties longer (especially in lower temps) and it's cheaper. Still i have few km to make before change but in my case i will change it more because of age than milage.

I was thinking finally to make TVS, DSG program (drivability) and maybe then i will change it just in case ;P

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
I’d only use OEM for the specific reason that each DSG has different properties, some share the same oil, some don’t.

DQ381 is one that needs it own oil, see chart below. It’s newer and more efficient DSG so needs specific oil.

How can Ravenol make a generic DSG oil that serves multiple gearbox’s (including multiple DSG’s) when they all have different properties ?

I want my oil made for my specifically for gearbox.

OEM only for me. It’s made for that gearbox. Happy to pay a little bit more for peace of mind.

oh and you won’t go wrong with TVS, best there is 👍🏻

Lord_Nikkon

Jul 18, 2020
Poland
Actually this is great point. Problem is that VAG didn't made any common standard for DSG fluid like for engine oil or brake fluid so no one knows what true difference is between older fluid and newer. Shame that EU didn't standardized that.

About TVS I struggling between Drivability and Stage 2+. I am not planning to rise up power of engine, just make riding more smooth and make higher RPM than diesel like engine. Any recommendations? Any problems occured after put TVS program?

Reactions: Slickric21

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
One thing I forgot to mention in the OP was after changing the gearbox oil,
Reset the adaptations in either OBD11 or VCDS.

Regarding TVS, general view is it’s the best out there with almost no negatives.
Maybe start a new thread to discuss the ins and outs of the different options.

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
Have you any pointers on the adaption reset via OBDELEVEN mate?
It’s not something I’ve come across as of yet whilst researching.

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
You can go into Control Unit 02 Transmission, Basic Settings > Basic Settings of transmission and reset.

Oil must be up to temp, footbrake on, no revving.
(Can’t remember temp range but can be found on Google)

You will hear the gearbox making noises for a few mins.

When it finishes you are meant to go for an adaptation drive, details of which can be found on RossTech wiki.

note there are some other things that can be reset in the ‘Basic settings’ but I can’t remember which ones worked and which didn’t with OBD11.
Either way just resetting basic settings did it’s trick and after the adaptation drive very very smooth gearbox again.

edit:
There is now a 1 click app for this on OBD11