7DSG is directly shifting to 2nd gear

Anton

Sep 24, 2018
Hello,

I'm owner of Leon ST XCELLENCE 1.4 TSI (150hp) for an year and I found below behavior of the DSG for a bit strange. So wanted to ask whether this is a standard for all DSGs and what is the reason for that. I even called the dealership and they confirmed this is a normal behavior, however I did not get the reason for that.
What I found for a strange is the immediate shifting to 2nd gear when you start moving from a static position. The shifting is happening around 3-5 km/h (around 1000 rpm) and once the car has passed a meter (for ex.). This is causing a bit of delay (both because of the shifting and because of the low rpm) when the car starts moving and it is a bit of annoying especially in traffic jam and/or traffic lights.

I will be glad to hear from you whether you have observed the same, whether you find it annoying and if you know what is the reason for immediate shifting to 2nd gear instead of shifting at 2000 rpm at minimum.

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
I have the 1.2 with 7 speed DSG and mine does that.. The gear ratio is so close 1st is hardly needed.... Literally into second as soon as I hit 2mph...

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
VAG group have it set like that so 1st is pretty much just a setting off gear. There are a few people that choose other products because of the hesitancy in gearing at junctions and roundabouts but I still think once you get used to it the gearboxes are that good it’s worth it. It’s the same on all the 7spd boxes. The 6spd boxes don’t do it as quickly due to the different ratios

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Yes, both my 6 speed DSG in a 2.0TDI and 7 speed DSG in 1.0TSI was always very eager to upshift from 1st to 2nd. At least the TDI had some torque and power to push you into your seat in 2nd, but not the TSI for me. A normal acceleration from the lights, the DSG usually shifts up around the 1.7-2000 rpm mark... Slow crawl start, maybe around the 1.5k mark

Anton

Sep 24, 2018
So, it seems that it is a common for all DSGs (especially those with 7 gears).

I can agree with Hag it is easy to get used to it, however, there is another aspect of this - wearing. If you are in a traffic jam, is this constant shifting from 1st to 2nd not causing both gearbox and clutch wear?

Another thing I have noticed and it is a bit strange for me - if you are on manual shifting mode, you can't shift to 2nd gear if you are below 1800-2000 rpm, which it the case on normal (auto) mode.

FRMike

Jun 18, 2018
So, it seems that it is a common for all DSGs (especially those with 7 gears).

I can agree with Hag it is easy to get used to it, however, there is another aspect of this - wearing. If you are in a traffic jam, is this constant shifting from 1st to 2nd not causing both gearbox and clutch wear?

Another thing I have noticed and it is a bit strange for me - if you are on manual shifting mode, you can't shift to 2nd gear if you are below 1800-2000 rpm, which it the case on normal (auto) mode.

I find it annoying that the gearbox is overly keen to drop into 1st gear when in manual mode and crawling in traffic but doesn’t do it in auto mode. The short shift to 2nd doesn’t bother me to be fair as the car is light enough and torquey enough to compensate for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members