888 Astra cdti Vs Leon FR TDI 2.0 Remapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
Would you think would be quicker. both in the real world driving and on the track?

888 Astra CDti Producing 196bhp

Or

Leon FR TDI Remapped Producing roughtly 205 - 214 bhp

I am guessing the 888 round a track as it has a tuned chassis as the FR would be standard but what about in gear and 0-60

Just want peoples views

matthewbentham

Cupra averaged 41mpg once
the astra vxr was awful on top gear track. understeering at lot a chicago. so this astra could be similar. also in last years BTCC, the Leon was much better through the twisty tracks (and in the wet) than the vectra and those cars are approx £200,000+ each!!

brad1

plus a just a remap on a fr tdi would not be around 205 to 214bhp. the most you will prob touch is 200bhp with quite a few mods, but nothing in it really

bqd

need some chocolate
Apr 19, 2008
Belgrade, Serbia
was driving Astra H 2.0 turbo petrol before Cupra...
Leon has multilink rear suspension which is huge advantage over Astra's...
concerning similar power/torque and above mentioned... I'd give Leon small advantage...

Mar 26, 2007
Norn Iron
Also what is the weight of the two cars? Id dare say it would be very close..

Also a remapped leon, 205bhp, would it be much faster than a GTI? With the extra torque?

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
plus a just a remap on a fr tdi would not be around 205 to 214bhp. the most you will prob touch is 200bhp with quite a few mods, but nothing in it really

think you will find that stock fr's are putting over 170bhp out so depending what your car is putting out you can reach these figures with only a remap.

Are you talking about a MK1 leon FR as they are 150 so what your saying makes sense for that.

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
Also what is the weight of the two cars? Id dare say it would be very close..

Also a remapped leon, 205bhp, would it be much faster than a GTI? With the extra torque?

they reakon the standard leon fr tdi is about the same standard any way. so should be faster than a GTI

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
Would you think would be quicker. both in the real world driving and on the track?

888 Astra CDti Producing 196bhp

Or

Leon FR TDI Remapped Producing roughtly 205 - 214 bhp

I am guessing the 888 round a track as it has a tuned chassis as the FR would be standard but what about in gear and 0-60

Just want peoples views

It could be that the Leon has a much better chassis to start with and doesn't need to be 'tuned'?
Do you know what they have done to the chassis in the Astra?

Ben CTR

Still Part Of VAG
May 6, 2003
Open Road...
Visit site
the astra vxr was awful on top gear track. understeering at lot a chicago. so this astra could be similar. also in last years BTCC, the Leon was much better through the twisty tracks (and in the wet) than the vectra and those cars are approx £200,000+ each!!
1st of all you can't compare the BTCC cars to the road cars mate, totally different ball game.
Also, the Astra on Top Gear was a pre-production VXR with the SRI suspension set up and has been said that the VXR would perform alot better..
The 888 on the other hand would walk all over the Leon round a track as it has moddified suspension by 888, upgraded brakes (AP's IIRC) and is just set up for the track. You can see this by the way it laps similar times to the VXR round the track.
In a straight line with the Leon it would be close, probably going to the Leon as it weighs slightly less. But would be down to driver..

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
Why would Vauxhall give a car with the lesser parts on it to Top Gear to test?
Surely they are shooting themselves in the foot?

brad1

think you will find that stock fr's are putting over 170bhp out so depending what your car is putting out you can reach these figures with only a remap.

Are you talking about a MK1 leon FR as they are 150 so what your saying makes sense for that.

i was on about a mk1 leon 150 mate, and as for the mk2 leon fr, they map to 212hp approx
i didnt see 2.0 in the title first time lol

Al

Aug 29, 2005
As above, the 888 is more than just a 200bhp diesel Ashtray.

If you ripped off the DPF, added a turbo back system, uprated air intake and got a custom map to a genuine 220bhp or so, added better brakes and set up the suspension nicely, you would have a chance vs a 888 both in the bends and the straights.

Similar power and torque in similar weight cars are gonna see similar performance.

Bainie

Oct 22, 2007
The 888`s are not 200bhp as claimed though, as the buyers found out *lol* they tend to be 190-195 max when RR`d , where the leon is 210-215 so has a fair advantage power wise, having owned a vxr for a year it would out handle the standard leon as stated depends what you class as faster really, acceleration, or total package. A properly set up leon would take it I reckon, not really a fair comparison as the 888 is not a standard car, put a mapped fr against a mapped SRi Cdti and the leon would walk it imo ..

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
i was on about a mk1 leon 150 mate, and as for the mk2 leon fr, they map to 212hp approx
i didnt see 2.0 in the title first time lol

lol no bother mate.

yeah thats what i was thinking the 888 has had the chassis tuned (which i knew) was more on about performance, e.g. straight line, out of the corners etc.

So from my gatherings that the leon fr remapped and 888 astra are similar in performance, which means that a remapped fr are nearly as fast as a VXR (on the fifth gear vxr vs 888). not bad really for a diesel.

I know the VXR would be faster 0-60 as its a petrol and they usually are quicker as hit 60 in 2nd where as you cannot in a leon fr tdi.

Bainie

Oct 22, 2007
The only thing there is the vxr/888 test on fifth gear was fixed ... it was made to try and make the 888 look good. having owned both standard Astra Vxr and Mapped Fr170 , the vxr felt quicker everywhere, but it was a bit of a one trick pony, hance me driving the leon now . If I did not have a 10 month old to cart around and didn`t need 5 doors, I would swap back tomorrow though, the astra was the best car I have owned by a country mile !!

Bainie

Oct 22, 2007
I have heard that it was an "advertising" stunt, perhaps there were financial implications for fifth gear, who are a commercial channel after all ... Word on the street is it was all a fix, which I would believe having owned a Vxr ... Don`t beleive everything you see on Tv .. (Or read on a forum *lol*)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.