8bit's Mk1 Leon Cupra R. Scarlett - as in Johansson...

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
OK cool, gonna try placing the jubilee on from the other side too, see if that makes it any easier.

ben450

Feb 17, 2012
London
Stunning car mate I really fancy a red one or grey or silver so got a few options lol. Glad the oil pick up wasnt an exspensive repair. [B)]

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Thats a good idea mate, I had planned on giving that a go if mine hadn't shifted.

Tried tonight, didn't work :) The coolant pipe rests firmly against the stop on the adaptor. If I'd pulled it really hard I *might* have got the jubilee beyond it but I wouldn't have got it back again once the hose was in place.

I settled for using a narrower jubilee. Managed to get the TIP all the way on almost all the way around (couple of mm away near the coolant pipe). The narrower jubilee was a better fit as I could still feel the adaptor through the silicone all the way around. Tightened as hard as I think I'll get away with, will keep a close eye on it for a while. Still half-wishing I'd gone for the SFS hose TBH.

Stunning car mate I really fancy a red one or grey or silver so got a few options lol. Glad the oil pick up wasnt an exspensive repair. [B)]

Cheers :) Looking a bit scruffy right now, one of these days I'll get time to give a good clean and get some decent pics.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=310084&page=12&highlight=fluttering

have a read here mate.
mine also does it on stage 1 map with badger 5 v2 tip
seems there is a bottle neck from the restrictive inter coolers and standard downpipe.

jamjay fitted 3" exhaust and forge big race inter cooler had the map tweaked and all was well

Nice one, I'll take a look, thanks for that. TBH if that's what it is then I'll probably just cut the boost back a touch on the Revo map and see if that helps, I have a wedding to pay for early next year so exhausts and intercoolers won't be an option.

RDS

OEM+
Aug 11, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Looking at it now mate, your coolant pipe is alot closer to the adapter then mine was. Which way are you pulling on it? standing at the side of the car I gave it a yank towards me.

Last edited:

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Tried a couple of ways mate, upwards towards the bonnet mainly. I did try applying some washing up liquid to the bottom of the coolant pipe and the outer top of the TIP where it hits the pipe, then pulling the pipe up and sliding the hose in a bit further which helped a little.

Having looked at the above thread though it appears that I may have the same issue Jamjay did, that the TIP and turbo are pulling in more air than the intercoolers can cope with. Really don't think I'm gonna be able to do those soon so I might either pull back the boost a bit and see if that helps or remove the B5 TIP as I didn't have these issues on the old THS one.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Settings are boost = 6, timing = 4, fuel = 8.

I had the car logged while on the rollers recently, CFs went from a couple on each cylinder to 0 all round after I'd changed the spark plugs lately. I'd have thought if timing was too high the CFs would be high?

Also undid the N249 bypass tonight, if anything it maybe feels a little less urgent and more lumpy through the range. May order a new N75 and see if that helps since you said that helped you, Richard.

RDS

OEM+
Aug 11, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
If timing is too high you will get high CFs, just an observation I made on mine. I'm getting very little CF's on timing 8 (not logged it since swapping the coilpacks and new sparkplugs)but soon after turning it up I first got the flutter, not previously when I turned the boost up, might be a combination of both :think: wish I could be more of a help mate but can only talk from my personal experience.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Nah that's cool mate, thanks - all info and experiences help :) I guess if I'm getting zero CFs on timing 4 then it's maybe not that which is causing the problem. Might try knocking boost back to 4 and see if the car drives any better, if it does then I'll try changing the N75.

Other thing I noticed is I only seem to hear flutter in 4th. Seems OK in 3rd, flutter in 4th, on boost in 5th or 6th I get a kind of screeching noise.

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
To my understanding 4th is normal chosen for logging and RR as it puts the car under maximum load which the lower gears cant.
What you are describing is surge.
Jamjays bottle neck was I/c's as it could take in lots of air through inlet and exhaust was 3" so flowed out quick but yours could be either or both of these combined

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
To my understanding 4th is normal chosen for logging and RR as it puts the car under maximum load which the lower gears cant.
What you are describing is surge.
Jamjays bottle neck was I/c's as it could take in lots of air through inlet and exhaust was 3" so flowed out quick but yours could be either or both of these combined

Yeah mate the ratio in 4th is the closest to 1:1 out of all the gears so this gives the best bet for working out engine power based on wheel power.

Still think I may have the same N75 issue that Richard had, he had the fluttering sound on a large exhaust and FMIC from what I remember (Richard correct me if I'm wrong mate!). I only have stock exhaust and ICs so I don't think the turbo isn't spooling any quicker really than on the stock map, I'll have another look at the recent and last lot of RR results to be sure.

I'm not saying you're wrong, it does sound like I have similar symptoms to JamJay but also sounds similar to RDS's N75 thing. I will order a new N75 today as a £40-ish fix will be better than a £300+ ish fix (intercoolers) as I've got a wedding to pay for :)

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Yeah I've got turbo back blueflame and a TX FMIC with 63mm inlet/outlet. I've never had any screeching though mate.

Hmm, maybe different things, not sure. Might try another shim in the DV, see if that stops it, it does sound like air escaping past something. Pretty sure it's not the TIP now, did everything up nice and tight last night. If not the DV or N75 then I may swap my OEM upper boost hoses back in in place of the Creations ones.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Small update...

So borrowed another DV off csd_19 (cheers min!) to see if that eliminated the fluttering noise on boost, sadly not. Ordered a new N75 from SERE which I was hoping would arrive yesterday but also sadly not, so will see if that helps any when it does turn up next week.

I think I've fixed the poor fuel consumption issue though. Turned out my hockey-puck valve thing, part of the PCV system, it had come loose from the hose that goes into its' side. This happened sometime last year, I spotted that the hose clip had vanished and the puck was almost out of the hose. Did it up with a cable tie which I'd thought was secure enough but spotted today that it was pretty loose.

Dug out a jubilee left over from my old THS TIP and fitted it, took the car for a 20 mile run on 60mph A-roads and returned 31mpg and was still climbing. Happy with that :)

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
31 mpg!!!

Squeeze that pedal to the right a bit more matey ;)

Haha, but on a serious note, good work. It's finding small issues like you have today that go along way to getting max power from the k04...

I used to get the fluttering noise, but it seems to have gone since I replaced my MAF.

EL

Forever Alive
Mar 17, 2008
Bickley, Bromley
I have started getting the fluttering noise but watching it carefully it seems it's because of too much boost. Whenever my guage goes up to 1.8 bar boost I get it. My car always use to run at 1.5 bar so I am guessing it is the N75 valve so need to order one. Let us know how you get on after changing yours.

Have you thought about fitting a oil catch can and getting rid of the PCV system all together? As you have seen they are prone to having leaks. When taking mine off I noticed other leaks in the system.

Also I agree with Tom, right pedal needs to be pushed harder ;)

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Lol, t0m don't worry, the trip back was just on 26mpg, that was my own fault ;) I'd been concerned that something was wrong as on a steady run out to the wedding venue last weekend I only hit 28mpg when I got back, had the other half in the car so wasn't pushing hard at all. I'll accept poor mpg when I'm beasting the car but not if I'm babying it :)

Seems like almost anything can cause this fluttering noise, surprised nobody's suggested coilpacks yet! Hopefully my N75 will show up tomorrow, I'll post back here, EL.

Gave the car a good wash today, took some "before" pics as it was spectacularly grubby but it was almost pitch dark by the time I got finished so no "after" pics til tomorrow, providing I haven't got the contents of the bowels of half of Aberdeen's seagull all over it by then. I ended up doing the tyre dressing using my phone's Flashlight app so I could see what I was doing :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members