A baffling catch tank question.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Thaiw
A(nother) question for you.
Sorry, i nicked this pic of your thread.
What catch tank have you got and what side is baffled?
From the crank/rc baffled side or pcv side?

Yours
20210216_183042.jpg

Mine

20210216_080259.jpg

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
Emptied mine at tw weekend. About 1/3 full of just water. I may go VTA to avoid that overfilling and goin into the turbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Im thinking about fitting a drain tap on the underside with a tube running down so it drains to the floor (weekly).

Then just removing the can once a month for a clean out.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
I was thinking of something with a thread on.
Drill a hole in bottom of the can and tap a thread into it.
Then screw a tap into it.
Thinking tap off a petrol lawn mower.

20210217_184005.jpg

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Right!
1st, apologies for keeping on dragging this thread along.

Ok, for now ive decided to keep with the catch tank besides the need to empty it every 2 weeks.

When i empty it there is water and a fair amount of creamy funk. So its doing its job.

Heres the issue i want to sort.
Id unscrewed the can and cleaned it out but noticed there was funk around the exit hole. So im assuming with some water there is also funk exiting the can and working its way to the turbo.
This is the issue i want to sort.
The can is empty with no baffling apart from in the lid.
Is there anything i can safely put in the can as an extra baffle?
Im guessing the fumes are entering and exiting without touching the sides taking the solids with it. So more baffling/surface area required.
Any suggestions as to what i can put in there to help out?

Steel wool?
Or maybe fill the can with plastic pond filter media?
Rich

20210328_160539.jpg
Screenshot_20210328-160335_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
You MUST baffle it , there is enough vacuum in there to pull it straight out of the can and into the inlet.
Do NOT use those things above - EVER.
PM Me - I have a baffled 300ml with 19mm fittings you can have .

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
You MUST baffle it , there is enough vacuum in there to pull it straight out of the can and into the inlet.
Do NOT use those things above - EVER.
PM Me - I have a baffled 300ml with 19mm fittings you can have .

The vacuum will only be that high if you have the suction pump still fitted. The TIP vacuum won’t be that strong

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
I’ve not had any vacuum issues personally. I’ve ran mine with and without the baffle and had no difference. I agree however you don’t want them tiny balls being sucked into the turbo

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Mine is baffled but doesnt seem to be efficient enough. The cavernous space of the can is going to waste.
Also unless the media in the can break up, surely they cant make it to the turbo as the fumes/vapour have to pass through the puc.
At worst, causing a blockage?

Photo-28-06-2020-17-20-31.jpg

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Ok Leon gurus, ive had an idea.

Will explain myself 1st.

I want to keep the catch tank system but concerned the 500ml one i have isn't up to the job. Reason being a fair amount of moisture and that horrible residue is still making its way to the puc and therefore the turbo. Where it is located there isn't room to fit any larger and also cant find anything suitable.

Now, heres the plan.
Getting a matching 2nd catch tank and running them in tandem. In and out the 1st then in and out the 2nd.
1st one catching what it does already and the 2nd catching what the 1st isn't coping with = less moisture and residue.
Ive had a look and should be able to have both fitted and working fine without it looking stupid, if not a little busy.

Opinions please.

Rich

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
Ok Leon gurus, ive had an idea.

Will explain myself 1st.

I want to keep the catch tank system but concerned the 500ml one i have isn't up to the job. Reason being a fair amount of moisture and that horrible residue is still making its way to the puc and therefore the turbo. Where it is located there isn't room to fit any larger and also cant find anything suitable.

Now, heres the plan.
Getting a matching 2nd catch tank and running them in tandem. In and out the 1st then in and out the 2nd.
1st one catching what it does already and the 2nd catching what the 1st isn't coping with = less moisture and residue.
Ive had a look and should be able to have both fitted and working fine without it looking stupid, if not a little busy.

Opinions please.

Rich

They don’t have one way valves so I’d guess when the first fills up some will go back down to the rocker breather and crank case ? I just stuck that tap on mine. Easier then taking the bottom off the can

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.