A couple of newbie questions about LCR.

Aug 2, 2009
North Lincs
I'm getting a 54 plate LCR next weekend and just wondered if the standard cd changer will work with other headunits or just with the standard one?

Also, am i right in thinking that it should be fitted with a tracker? And if so, whats the crack with it??....do i have to get it activated or anything and what will it cost me?

ben1413

Jul 3, 2008
Fareham, Hants
I'm getting a 54 plate LCR next weekend and just wondered if the standard cd changer will work with other headunits or just with the standard one?

Also, am i right in thinking that it should be fitted with a tracker? And if so, whats the crack with it??....do i have to get it activated or anything and what will it cost me?

Hey and congrats on the new purchase!!

I'm pretty sure that the CD changer will only work with the standard head unit. Ref the tracker, that must have been an option from the dealer as I think most LCR's do not have a tracker fitted.

Ben

Aug 2, 2009
North Lincs
Hey and congrats on the new purchase!!

I'm pretty sure that the CD changer will only work with the standard head unit. Ref the tracker, that must have been an option from the dealer as I think most LCR's do not have a tracker fitted.

Ben

Thank you! Cant wait to get my hands on it!! :D

I thought i'd read somewhere that they came with trackers until the 05 plate??? Might be wrong though.

dav3

devilishd4ve xbox tag
Mar 29, 2007
Essex
I think the tracker was an option on the Lcr's. But Seat did a short run of the LCRS coming with free tracker from the showroom. You will have to pay a yearly fee for the tracker. Might be worth getting in touch with them and finding out what you need to do. Oh congrates on the purchase btw

Aug 2, 2009
North Lincs
Ive just been reading on another forum and apparently the 2004 225bhp models came with trackers fitted as standard.

I'll see if there's any paperwork on it with the car next week then i might try the local SEAT garage.

I'm a bit dissappointed that the cd changer will only work with the standard stereo. Which is a TAPE PLAYER i might add! WTF??? :confused:

Mr Roboto

Domo Arigato
Mar 14, 2005
Sussex
LCR came with a Tracker and one years free subscription in 2004.

Might of been for that year only though not to sure if it continued in 2005 with the last of the LCR stock.

andylcr

Aug 6, 2009
Berks
How will i know if i have one?
How do you activate it?
How much does it cost and is it a monthly, yearly or one off payment?

mine has a tracker but its not currently activated. i think the annual subscription to have it activated is £120

jcborden

I don't have a tracker on my LCR, but had one on my scooby. I didn't bother getting it activated though because it would have reduced my insurance premium by just £15, against a tracker premium of £120. Just wasn't worth it as I don't see the tracker really being in the owners interest, more of a benefit for the insurance company - if me car got stolen I probably wouldn't want it back since you can imagine how it would have been driven!

Jerry*

Aug 12, 2009
Leeds
Hi mate,

I'm possibly picking my new beastie up tonight and I can't wait :D

Like you I've been looking for a decent LCR for ages and have found them to be like rocking horse ****!

I too wanted a red one but couldn't find one I liked but have now secured a really tidy 54 plate silver 225 with just 40k on the clock.

I'm interested though, was the car with 97k for sale in Huddersfield? Is that the one you ended up with?

Also I went to go and see a red one for sale at a dealers in Mansfield with just 62k on the clock... but I ended up seeing the silver one more locally and opted for that one.

From what I have seen the 2004 LCRs came with Tracker Retrieve as standard, which was the basic Tracker package at the time. It retailed at about £260 and you had to pay an annual subscription to Tracker themselves of around £100 for it to work.

IIRC it used some sort of transponder technology and didn't activate automatically like some of the more advanced tracker systems. Basically you had to notice that you car had been nicked and then ring the Tracker call centre and tell them to activate it remotely.

At the time it was the only production car sold in the UK other than the Scooby Impreza WRX STI Type UK to have a tracker system fitted as standard.

My 2004/54 LCR has the Tracker Retrieve system fitted and all of the bumf was in the glove box when I test drove it. My insurers don't need the tracker to be operational but I'm going to activate it anyway - you can't be too careful!

My car just has the single slot CD stereo and not the CD autochanger, which is a shame, but to be honest I think I'll change it for a more modern mp3 head unit with iPod connection before long.

Keep us posted as to how you get on with it!

J:)

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
Unless you save a fair amount on insurance activating the tracker, it'll probably cost you less overall not to bother.

Regarding the CD changer, Connects2 produce iPod and USB adapters that you can plug into the CD6 changer socket on the standard head unit, and then you can use a USB stick with MP3s, or an iPod...

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Also I went to go and see a red one for sale at a dealers in Mansfield with just 62k on the clock... but I ended up seeing the silver one more locally and opted for that one.

The red one at Mansfields is a Cat-D - I believe he put a deposit down but after finding this out pulled out of the purchase.

Aug 2, 2009
North Lincs
Hi jerry.

Unfortunately, pabs is right! Did the salesman make you aware that it was a cat d? He is now saying he told me but he's a lying fecker!! What put you off buying it if you don't mind me asking?

I'm hoping to go look at the high miler in Huddersfield on Saturday but I'm still not 100% convinced about the 97k! Did you go view this one?

Jerry*

Aug 12, 2009
Leeds
Mash,

I've got to wait until tomorrow night now to get my new toy due to a few minor niggles being sorted out. Can't wait though :D

I went to go and see the red LCR at Galaxy Motors in Mansfield a week last Saturday in the pouring rain. It was sat right at the front of the lot next to a tidy looking silver Clio 182 and upon initial inspection looked ok. I asked for the keys from the skinny salesman bloke and he fetched them. He didn't have much to say about the car but did say that he'd not had it in long. He certainly didn't mention anything about it being a Cat D.

After having a brief walk around the car I soon noticed a rather nasty dent and crack on the offside corner of the front bumper. It was pretty messy and would need replacing. The nearside rear alloy had a huge chunk missing out of it and the spare wheel/tyre in the boot looked like it had been found in a lay by on the motorway. Some of the toolkit was missing, the display on the stereo was kn4ckered and the steering wheel looked like someone had taken a brillo pad to it.

I fired it up and it started fine. The engine was smooth and quiet and there was no smoke etc. I drove away up the hill on the test drive and it pulled well but I couldn't help but notice a loud clonking from underneath the car at low speeds. To me it was either a seriously buckled alloy wheel on the offside or some nasty suspension damage.

After building up a decent amount of speed I approached a queue of traffic and nearly had kittens when the brakes were non-existent. They made a horrible scraping sound and barely got any better the more I used them.

I could tell that the LCR was a lovely car but this one needed some serious TLC. After returning to the garage the salesman was busy with another couple and I spent the next 20 mins or so tearing myself apart trying to stop my heart ruling my head. Could I make this car into something decent or was there just too much wrong with it? I'd trailed all the way down from Leeds and had probably wasted my time.

Eventually I shrugged my shoulders and left.

In hindsight I'm very glad I did.

The following day I contacted the bloke in Huddersfield about the 2 LCRs he had there and unfortunately he didn't work on Sundays. He sounded a lot more helpful though and was keen to show me one in the week. I never got around to it though.

After doing an awful lot of research on here and other sites I'd now pretty much think that the 97k with only 1 owner shouldn't be a problem providing the service schedules have been kept up to and the car has been well looked after. It certainly looks well and has more than likely just tonked up and down the motorway for most of its life - which should mean minimal clutch and gearbox wear.

Let us know how you get on.

J:)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.