A day of discovery and help needed again

DarrenGI

Aug 31, 2020
Surrey
it's rained off and on today and between the showers I've cleaned up around the hinge cover and found another leak which looked like it was coming through the boot seal so pulled that off

boot seal.jpg

Another leak in the boot 3 holes.jpg

running below the centre hole
boot seal existing seam sealer.jpg

cleaned up the old seam sealer and resealed
Boot seal new seam sealer.jpg

just before the rain started again
I put some masking tape over the outside of the boot gap to try and keep the water off until the seam sealer cures.
Looking forward to a Monday morning for once to see if it worked :)

Reactions: Snoopy

DarrenGI

Aug 31, 2020
Surrey
Balls, still got a leak! Unfortunately may not have much time at the weekend to investigate further.

This is starting to get frustrating.

• Sad
Reactions: Snoopy

DarrenGI

Aug 31, 2020
Surrey
Here I think you should concentrate!
47a1ac626a252afa5c949dd2cd22b7d1.jpg

Trimis de pe al meu VOG-L29 folosind Tapatalk
Hi undertacher thank you I have done most of it, the two holes, both sides and bottom but not the top or around the flexible cable so more seam sealer if I get time

Snoopy

Apr 24, 2002
Durham, England.
Tried running water over all sorts of places and sat waited to see if the water came round the corner again then tried somewere else. More or less started low down and worked up.
Bumper join to side panel,
Hatch to bumper,
Rear light,
fluel filler,
Hatch gutter guide plate,
Hatch strut mount,
Hatch hindge area,

Then tried the gutter and then the water started to come round.

Anyone know how to remove the black gutter trim and not break it..

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20201110_123520.jpg
    20201110_123520.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 107
Reactions: DarrenGI

DarrenGI

Aug 31, 2020
Surrey
Tried running water over all sorts of places and sat waited to see if the water came round the corner again then tried somewhere else. More or less started low down and worked up.
Bumper join to side panel,
Hatch to bumper,
Rear light,
fuel filler,
Hatch gutter guide plate,
Hatch strut mount,
Hatch hinge area,

Then tried the gutter and then the water started to come round.

Anyone know how to remove the black gutter trim and not break it..

Thanks.
Hi Ballie, not had much time over the last couple of weeks to look at the leak as had some fun and games with my son's mini which has developed an electrical problem, which I seem to be making worse :doh:

If I get chance over the weekend I'll have another go with the watering can and see if I get the same result as you. hopefully someone will know how to remove the black gutter strip - cheers

DarrenGI

Aug 31, 2020
Surrey
As I said earlier, did you check the seams at the top corners of the boot opening?
I had a tiny hairline crack in my seam which was giving a very small leak into the side of the boot as you describe. When I put a sharp tool into the crack, most of it crumbled away, leaving an impressive gaping hole, as shown in the image below. I have now resealed it.:yes:
View attachment 5470
Saw this on another thread

Reactions: Snoopy and g60stu

DarrenGI

Aug 31, 2020
Surrey
Here we go again, months of not driving the car (dam you corona virus) and just mopping up the water periodically. Today I will be mostly trying to seal the nearside boot hinge again before the weather goes bad tomorrow.

I have also carefully prised up the black gutter trim?? that runs along the length of the roof and I can't see anything wrong under that. After cleaning it I poured a lot of water along it and no sign of any water inside.

Reactions: Rich.T

undertacher

Oct 15, 2013
Romania
Hi undertacher thank you I have done most of it, the two holes, both sides and bottom but not the top or around the flexible cable so more seam sealer if I get time
Did you tryed on top and around flexible cable?I am 70% sure that there is the problem. The wather came from the roof and go between top and left/right side of the hinge.

Trimis de pe al meu VOG-L29 folosind Tapatalk

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
How does VAG do so many leaky cars. The Land Rover leaks less.
Water inwards, that is.
Oil outwards?
Yup, VAG got that bit right.
Land Rover busy dissolving tarmac as I write.