A few observations with my new Leon and its media plus system

Jamieoc1

So the cable that comes with it does not do the job? Looking in the accessories brochure there only seems to be one cable available so you would think that that would do the job and be the one that came with the car.

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
So the cable that comes with it does not do the job? Looking in the accessories brochure there only seems to be one cable available so you would think that that would do the job and be the one that came with the car.
That's because the video capability isn't advertised as a feature and so the cable doesn't have the relevant pins to output video from an iOS device.

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
What cables did everyone's car come with? The media plus system says its compatible with aux, usb, and iphone so did everyone get 3 cables?

metomurti

Apr 26, 2013
Yes, the cable subject must be clarified. As far as I understand there are two types of iPod cables:

1) This cable only supports music playing from iPod.

http://www.oemvag.es/en/5f-2013/1403-media-in-cable-adapter-for-ipod.html and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251354760277?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Part number is 000 051 446 C

2) The cable below supports both music and video.

Part number is 000 051 446 M (It has a red part)

The guy who added a video about playing movie from iPod at Youtube also use the second cable. But I couldn't find it at Ebay or anywhere else.

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
Last edited:

FRTSIman

Aug 2, 2013
You need a red collar cable for video to work apparently.

What is a "red collar cable" and do you know where you can you get them? I'm collecting my new Leon FR TSI1.8 DSG 5-Door on Friday and I would like to check if I can play videos from my iPod Classic connected to the Media System Plus system.

FRTSIman

Aug 2, 2013
What is a "red collar cable" and do you know where you can you get them? I'm collecting my new Leon FR TSI1.8 DSG 5-Door on Friday and I would like to check if I can play videos from my iPod Classic connected to the Media System Plus system.

Sorry! I somehow missed page 2 of this post with useful extra information about cables.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
What cables did everyone's car come with? The media plus system says its compatible with aux, usb, and iphone so did everyone get 3 cables?

I think 2, that's what mine came with
The aux is just a connection point in the glove box requires just a 3.5mm jack lead so does not come with the car
The other 2 do come supplied as they are special fitment on the car end I.E. not something you would pick up in pc world

Anyway that's what I got and is my take on it

Any advance on 2 supplied leads? Anyone lol

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
I think 2, that's what mine came with
The aux is just a connection point in the glove box requires just a 3.5mm jack lead so does not come with the car
The other 2 do come supplied as they are special fitment on the car end I.E. not something you would pick up in pc world

Anyway that's what I got and is my take on it

Any advance on 2 supplied leads? Anyone lol

Cheers, I don't remember seeing the aux port in the car I test drove, just the MDI port. I will add to my list of delivery checks.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Cheers, I don't remember seeing the aux port in the car I test drove, just the MDI port. I will add to my list of delivery checks.

No prob

My apologies, you are right there is no aux port, I've just checked,was sure there was one but I must of confused it with my mk2 leon which had one

I'm now wondering why it says aux in the manual and on the infotainment system if it does not have one ?

Last edited:

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
I think there are some cars (maybe S spec) which come with just a USB port and 3.5 AUX IN, no MDI port. I swear I've seen photos of it. I could be wrong though.

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
I think there are some cars (maybe S spec) which come with just a USB port and 3.5 AUX IN, no MDI port. I swear I've seen photos of it. I could be wrong though.

I've seen that as well, I think it's on cars with the standard system.

faw13

Sep 2, 2013

My FR with standart 5" screen (No satnav or 5.8 option) doesnt have MDI, it just has a usb-in and aux-in in the glove-box and SD card input on the front panel, just under the touch screen, that might be what you have seen :)

So i guess no video playback for me anyways :(

Swahealy

Aug 26, 2013
London
Right!! Just picked up my FR and everything in Media plus works fine except trying to connect my sansadisk mp3 player. Read the manual and see the source button where you are supposed to be able to press it and choose USB. When you initially plug the media in to the MP3 player it "sees" the device but and says it is uploading but then defaulrs to "no information available. Bluetooth phone connection to my HTC phone is fine and CD and radio and satnav. Anyone have any ideas on how to choose/ get it to see my MP3 connected via media in cable?

keensmith

I bought the red collar cable with a view to showing album art etc from my iPod Classic. When I plugged it in however the Media Plus system did not recognize the device? Anyone any ideas? The supplied blue collar cable works fine for sound & does give track information. Just seems the red collar one is incompatible somehow? It is the OEM VW 000 051 446 M that I bought btw. Car is 1.8TSi FR DSG Technology & after waiting 7 months for delivery (long story!) I am dead chuffed with everything about it!