A few observations with my new Leon and its media plus system

wiganlad81

Mar 27, 2013
So I've lived with it for a week now and put down 300 miles. I've spent a bit of time toying either the media plus system too. I've got a few observations or should I say little niggles. Hearing in mind I'm no technophobe by a long shot.

Firstly you can't manage music with media plus whilst using an iPhone. Not that I've been able to anyway. The manual does state music management on idevices is not possible. I can't seem to connect the phone (4s) to the system using the cable either. It charges but sod all else.

There is no postcode search on the sat nav. Town/street/house no loads of PoI's. The Nav system seems reasonable enough. Not really had chance to test the traffic System properly yet as I've not hit any traffic. I won't be going out of my way any time soon to head into traffic so I'm just hoping it works well.

Can I find 8 speakers can I shite. 6 - Maybe!

Anyone know the size of png or whatever is required for icons for radio channels?

I've set the phone too show contact images. All my phone contacts have images. Yet they don't show up. Ive checked the menus and I can't see anywhere where it's possible to save image to contact in the system itself.

Currently at a loss to sort the above things just yet. Overall though I'm a VERY satisfied customer! This car is fantastic on every level. Well for me anyway. It ticks all my boxes. If anyone is considering one I'd certainly recommend it. If you already have it - I'm sure it's making you smile like it does me.

Snarks

May 18, 2002
Lancashire
Visit site
There is postcode search. You have to press the Ptcd (or something like that) button in the bottom left of the keyboard. I think it shows up when you are typing the town name in.

Last edited:

wiganlad81

Mar 27, 2013
There is postcode search. You have to press the Ptcd (or something like that) button in the bottom left of the keyboard. I think it shows up when you are typing the town name in.

Awesome - thanks for clearing that up. Seems an odd place to put it doesn't it though? You would think as post code can resolve 80% of an address it would use that first?

Anyone know who designs the nav software. I'm sure I've read navteq somewhere. Any thoughts? If it is and anyone uses navteq in another unit is that menu structure normal?

phsroberts

Navteq provide mapping data only. My iPhone 4S works with the cable okay and I'm not sure you can upload the contact pictures from your phone into the stereo.

kugaman1

Mar 6, 2013
Aberdeenshire
I agree with all you have said wiganlad.
Im exactly the same, iphone 4s and cannot upload photos of callers. It would be cool if it worked eh? I might try it again later with my Blackberry, see if that works?

Also, I can see the option to upload logos for radio stations, but have no idea of the size or format for this to work.

Oh and today whilst giving the car a wash and polish following last nights snow, I managed to break the rear wiper blade....my fault! Got the cloth caught on it and snapped the tiny plastic clip that holds the blade in place.

But drove another 60 miles today and the car is really superb, very smooth and responsive..

Andy

Last edited:

robtheplod

got a few questions if you don't mind:

What size/type of SSD will the stereo work with?
can you use a usb penstick to play music?
Do you get updates on the sat-nav?
is the sat-nav uk only, or European?

thanks!
rob

kugaman1

Mar 6, 2013
Aberdeenshire
Do you mean sd card? Not ssd...
If so, Im using an 8gb SD card and its fine.
Yes you can play music on a usb stick.
Yes you can get updates on the satnav, but they will be dealer supplied and damned expensive!
Yes, the satnav is european.

Andy

robtheplod

many thanks andy.....

got my FR on order so will be summer before I get to see it.. ;-(

wiganlad81

Mar 27, 2013
got a few questions if you don't mind:

What size/type of SSD will the stereo work with?
can you use a usb penstick to play music?
Do you get updates on the sat-nav?
is the sat-nav uk only, or European?

thanks!
rob

A Kugman said if you mean SD it take HC and XC variants. So it'll take a fairly vast card. I you mean SSD I can't help you with specifics but I'd imagine as it's just USB host it should be fine.

Penstick I've got stuck into the USB aux in cable. It's a full size female USB.

Sat nav updates I've looked into. Seems there are a few sources VW/seat direct or a few other online shops. I'm seeing my dealer tomorrow so I'll be asking him is it updated at cost or not.

If I'm not mistaken I think it Europe the sat nav. I'll have to find the DVD case the SD nav maps came on.

JK1

May 15, 2002
Bedford
Visit site
I think only the FR has the 8 speakers (or 9.1 with the seat sound pack)

Has anyone tried it with an old skool iPod?

When the Audi A1 came out some people were able to push video to their screen through the media interface not sure if that is possible with this one?

wiganlad81

Mar 27, 2013
I think only the FR has the 8 speakers (or 9.1 with the seat sound pack)

Has anyone tried it with an old skool iPod?

When the Audi A1 came out some people were able to push video to their screen through the media interface not sure if that is possible with this one?

JK1 - I've found the eight. I think the 8 speakers was part of the media plus pack. Two on front dash near pillars. 1 in each front door and 2 in each rear door. I've flogged all my old skool iPods. I'd be interested in seeing if it does. The video would be cool to have but not tried that yet.

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
Thanks for the reply, glad to hear I will be able to pair my note 2 with it....

On a side note have you tried plugging the usb into the phone and car and seeing if you can access your music that way? Just a thought as the car should recognise the phone as a storage device unlike with the iPhone.

Also, any word on what purpose the 'Dedicated iPod/iPhone connection' serves?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Snarks

May 18, 2002
Lancashire
Visit site
On a side note have you tried plugging the usb into the phone and car and seeing if you can access your music that way? Just a thought as the car should recognise the phone as a storage device unlike with the iPhone.

This worked fine although the Android folder structure was more difficult to navigate than when connected via Bluetooth. I put the phone into USB storage mode and connected the cable and it came up as a USB device automatically. However, it started playing from obscure folders such as SatNav instructions and I had to manually switch to the correct folder.

GTunney

May 28, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne UK
JK1 - I've found the eight. I think the 8 speakers was part of the media plus pack. Two on front dash near pillars. 1 in each front door and 2 in each rear door. I've flogged all my old skool iPods. I'd be interested in seeing if it does. The video would be cool to have but not tried that yet.

I've got an SE with Media System Plus and I think I have also got 8 speakers.

Same locations as above and also have one in the center of the dash.

Although I've no idea how many of these grills actually house speakers.

Hopefully all :)

MikeyM

Oct 21, 2013
Aberdeen
Anyone know the size of png or whatever is required for icons for radio channels?

I downloaded the list of logos from here yesterday, unzipped them onto a usb drive and plugged it in and then attached them to the radio stations. Looks pretty cool to have the logos on the screen buttons.

volkswagen.de/de/models/golf_7/brochure/senderlogos.html

For the phone contact images, they currently don't support iPhone contact pictures. I have found some pdf's on the web that shows the supported phones and the support media devices that can be plugged into the Media and Media Plus systems.

seat.ch/content/medialib/seat/ch/services/bluetooth---multimedia/bluetooth-new-leon/_jcr_content/renditions/rendition.file/bluetooth_newleon_0713_210x297_en.pdf

seat.ch/content/medialib/seat/ch/services/bluetooth---multimedia/multimedia-new-leon/_jcr_content/renditions/rendition.file/multimedia_newleon_0713_210x297_en.pdf

I dont know if someoe might want to download them and stick them in the FAQ's as a lot of people might want to know if their kit will work?

Sorry about the non-links, I havent posted enough on the forum yet to allow me to include working links to other sites.

Last edited:

GTunney

May 28, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne UK
I downloaded the list of logos from here yesterday, unzipped them onto a usb drive and plugged it in and then attached them to the radio stations. Looks pretty cool to have the logos on the screen buttons.

volkswagen.de/de/models/golf_7/brochure/senderlogos.html

For the phone contact images, they currently don't support iPhone contact pictures. I have found some pdf's on the web that shows the supported phones and the support media devices that can be plugged into the Media and Media Plus systems.

seat.ch/content/medialib/seat/ch/services/bluetooth---multimedia/bluetooth-new-leon/_jcr_content/renditions/rendition.file/bluetooth_newleon_0713_210x297_en.pdf

seat.ch/content/medialib/seat/ch/services/bluetooth---multimedia/multimedia-new-leon/_jcr_content/renditions/rendition.file/multimedia_newleon_0713_210x297_en.pdf

I dont know if someoe might want to download them and stick them in the FAQ's as a lot of people might want to know if their kit will work?

Sorry about the non-links, I havent posted enough on the forum yet to allow me to include working links to other sites.

In the manual it mentions the logos will be added automatically if they are in the database.

Has anybody got this to work yet?

Them links are excellent thanks Mikey.

Jamieoc1

I've seen a video on YouTube with the video being played through the easy connect system and it seemed easy enough but was with an iPod touch. I've got an iPod classic with some videos on so will see whether that works when my FR arrives.

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
I've seen a video on YouTube with the video being played through the easy connect system and it seemed easy enough but was with an iPod touch. I've got an iPod classic with some videos on so will see whether that works when my FR arrives.

You need a red collar cable for video to work apparently.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.