A few pics of my Leon TDi

heyd_romanian

Sep 29, 2006
Somerset, UK

heyd_romanian

Sep 29, 2006
Somerset, UK
I am instrested to know if the guy replaces the ecu or if he just overwrites the current ecu. I would preffer if he would put in a new ecu because it will make the car easier to sell!
I will try and get mine done after xmas! Got a holiday planned and a trip to amsterdam in january so it will have to wait until then.

heyd_romanian

Sep 29, 2006
Somerset, UK
yeah i will have to do speak to him.
The reason why i want a separte ecu is because when i come to sell i can just take it off! People usualy get put off by remap's!

Oct 31, 2006
Lichfield, Staffs
As far as I'm aware tuning boxes tend to just increase the amount of fuel which tricks the engine and therefore you go faster.

Over time it puts pressure on the engine components and therefore decreases engine life.

I'm not 100% on the truth of that but it is what I've heard.

heyd_romanian

Sep 29, 2006
Somerset, UK
hmmm, but then again how long are you going to keep the car for?
I am only planning on keeping the car for a couple of years maybe 3!
But i think a remap is better because you can set it up how you want it.
Has anyone used both? A tunning box and a remap?

Oct 31, 2006
Lichfield, Staffs
Found this info :).

www.race-tune.com said:
Tuning boxes are add on devices that work by intercepting the signals between the ECU and the sensors and fuel system in the engine. Some tuning boxes intercept the sensor signals fooling the ECU into thinking that the engine is doing something different to what it actually is, thus making the ECU add more fuel. Other tuning boxes work by intercepting the output signals from the ECU and thus modifying the fuel control. Either way, a tuning box will only increase the amount of fuel that is added. Furthermore, the tuning box is always fighting the ECU. The ECU will to some extent try to compensate for the increase in fuel that is caused by the tuning box. This is especially true of the latest Euro IV engines with very tight emission controls. The end result is often inconsistent performance, and sometimes no improvement in performance at all.

A remap on the other hand works in harmony with the engine and emissions control. A "remap" is simply a rewrite of the software in the engine computer. Unlike the tuning box which only alters the amount of fuel, the ECU remap alters the turbo boost pressure, fuel injector duration, fuel timing, fuel pressure, and many other paramters, all of which can be optimised to give substantial increases in power and torque, while still remaining within emission control envelopes. Since no signals are intercepted, the ECU does not have to compensate for any abnormal readings and therefore the performance will be consistent. With the Euro IV engines, the ECU remap is the only way to improve performance because the ECU is too sensitive for a tuning box to successfully alter the behaviour of the fuel system without the ECU compensating for it.

Molehill_Mike

Rollin' on 20s
Jan 3, 2005
Bedfordshire
IMAGE_000134.jpg

IMAGE_000113.jpg

IMAGE_000102.jpg

IMAGE_000091.jpg

IMAGE_00012.jpg

Nice example mate :)

Stephenpalm

:D
hmmm, but then again how long are you going to keep the car for?
I am only planning on keeping the car for a couple of years maybe 3!
But i think a remap is better because you can set it up how you want it.
Has anyone used both? A tunning box and a remap?
[B)]

Hi I have had both examples on my cupra 1.9tdi, i was very pleased with the dragon system pd that i purchased from mr hoot.com a friend of mine got one also at the same time, so we had a little discount.

He later sold his because of the write ups that had been written, i think he panicked about his insurance also. Anyway he missed it that much i sold him mine, and it still resides under the bonnet of his vrs skoda(inter changeable) I later went on to have revo incorporated into mine, and the difference is that this gives a much smoother introduction when your foot is laid.

With the tuning box i had around 2k rpm before it kicked in, and then you really have to hold on,especially in lanes with loose road surfaces.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.