Absolutley silly question regarding springs

jonisginger

Oct 19, 2008
Will springs from a Cupra (not LCR) fit on my 1.6 S? They are 2005 and I don't know whether they are from a MK1 or MK2.

Thanks in advance,

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
If from a mk1 then yes. The springs amongst the petrol range are interchangeable so to speak. I don't think the mk2 cupra was out in 2005, so i'd guess they would be mk1. :)

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
think the different is around 15-20mm, although it should say in the official seat specifications. Cupra springs will be firmer than the standard leon springs, so will give better handling characteristics. When I had a 1.4s leon before my LCR I fitted Eibach springs, which lowered it 30mm and the difference was amazing :)

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
i'd say so; remember to factor in the cost of fitting and a 4 wheel geometry check afterwards too :)

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
fitting ~ £100 if you can get it done locally; geometry is normally around £40 (you need full 4 wheel, not just from wheel tracking)

now; completely going back on what I have said - the 1.8t lump shares aftermarket springs with the 1.9tdi, and not the lesser petrol engines! so I take back what I said about them fitting well; they would fit, but you would have the incorrect weight suspended on them which would reduce handling ability; and could cause the front end to be dangerously bouncy (i'm glad i checked now!)

If you look on DPM's site you could get a set of Koni springs with 35mm drop for £95, so that is probably your better option! Sorry for bullsh1tting prior to this post :redface:

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
forum sponsers, dpm performance -damien is the contact on here; seems to be a very helpful chap :)
sorry for the confusion; i'm mixing geotechnics revision with suspension chat!

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
was going to say, the petrol springs from other leons will not fit due to the sprung weight being different....

mk4 golf 1.8t and 1.9tdi springs will fit mk1 leon cupras, and similar for the leon 1.9tdi as the engine weight is roughly the same.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.