accelerator pedal sender switch - G79

Mease

Hello folks
My problem is: I turned the ignition, interior lights dimmed, the central locking came on and off several times and the EPC light came on, the engine fired but there was no throttle response when depressing the accelerator pedal. I turned the ignition several times and managed to get response from the accelerator pedal but now the engine management is lit. I got home from work.
Now when I turn the ignition on the engine won't start (probably no fuel getting in as throttle not responding)

I've researched the forum and the same advice from admin pops up with regard to the accelerator pedal sender switch. To replace the switch a whole new accelerator pedal assembly is required. I'll heed this advice and will order one from my nearest Seat dealer @ £67.91 inc vat should further diagnostics confirm this.

Now, I will replace this after I've ran VAG_COM diagnostic (when Ross-Tech get back to me with new activation code) and tested the connectors etc with multi-meter according to workshop manual testing info. I'm hedging my bets on it being the sender and not the ECU coz I think that would be expensive.

My question is how do I remove the current accelerator pedal and how difficult is it? I can't take the car to the dealer for the work.

Your advice would be most welcome.

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
The engine should tickover i'd have said as you don't need throttle to start the car.

Does the car turn over?
Do the headlights dim if you leave them on, i'm thinking low battery tbh.

The throttle is the first thing to go when the battery loses voltage (was on mine when the alternator went)

Mease

The engine should tickover i'd have said as you don't need throttle to start the car.

Does the car turn over?
Do the headlights dim if you leave them on, i'm thinking low battery tbh.

The throttle is the first thing to go when the battery loses voltage (was on mine when the alternator went)

Nipped out to turn the engine over, very laboured so battery was pretty flat. Got a jump start off the mrs - and went for a drive in attempt to charge the battery a bit, gonna borrow my old boys battery charger and stick the battery on charge.

:clap:Many Thanks Lee69 you saved me from a shed load of bother!

Mease

Yep the car is used daily.
Is there a test to see if the alternator is on its way out? wondering if I can confirm whether its battery or alternator as which to replace 1st.

Last edited by a moderator:

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
You need a multimeter to see the voltage increase when it is revved and then with a load on it ie heaters on headlights on rear windscreen demist on.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.