Adapting to a Formentor ?

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
Use voice commands for the rest. Voice commands work perfectly for me - and yes, you can control temperature, A/C, fan speed, navigation etc.
Just hijacking this for a moment - how on earth do you get Voice Control to Navigate to a saved favourite destination? Whatever I tried the other day I couldn't get it to recognise the name of the favourite!

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022
Just hijacking this for a moment - how on earth do you get Voice Control to Navigate to a saved favourite destination? Whatever I tried the other day I couldn't get it to recognise the name of the favourite!

My favorites all have as few syllables as possible, I think that probably helps. "Home", "Mom", "work", "workout". For non-favorites I usually navigate to interest point like petrol stations or similar. Addresses and city names are a problem though, since they're all danish and I prefer english voice commands.

It has no problems recognizing what I'm saying. Maybe it's the lack of a dialect? Being british might be playing tricks on the recognition software :ROFLMAO:

I like how the triggers phrases can be different too, "plot a course for ..." - "navigate to ..." - "take me to" etc.

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
My favorites all have as few syllables as possible, I think that probably helps. "Home", "Mom", "work", "workout". For non-favorites I usually navigate to interest point like petrol stations or similar. Addresses and city names are a problem though, since they're all danish and I prefer english voice commands.

It has no problems recognizing what I'm saying. Maybe it's the lack of a dialect? Being british might be playing tricks on the recognition software :ROFLMAO:

I like how the triggers phrases can be different too, "plot a course for ..." - "navigate to ..." - "take me to" etc.
Hmmm - The favourite it struggled with is Tra-cys - perhaps two syllables is one too many! 🙃 Although it manages several places in France with 'Tracy' in their names!

The phrase is apparently 'Drive to contact', and while 'Drive to Jonnys' works OK, it still doesn't like 'Drive to Tracys' much! Perhaps it needs some punctuation...

Last edited:

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022
Hmmm - The favourite it struggled with is Tra-cys - perhaps two syllables is one too many! 🙃 Although it manages several places in France with 'Tracy' in their names!

The phrase is apparently 'Drive to contact', and while 'Drive to Jonnys' works OK, it still doesn't like 'Drive to Tracys' much! Perhaps it needs some punctuation...
I tried this one out of interest, and I can't get it to recognize "Tracys" either :poop:
It does however work fine with just "Tracy"

Spivvy

Nov 21, 2021
UK
And again another thread turns into an echo chamber of negative subjective opinions...
Here are some positive subjective ones:
  • With the most recent updates the infotainment is quick
  • I actually prefer the built-in navigation over Google Maps, since the voice directions are more concise
  • Setup shortcuts in the /// startmenu (you'll understand when you get it) for the shortcuts you end up using the most
  • Use voice commands for the rest. Voice commands work perfectly for me - and yes, you can control temperature, A/C, fan speed, navigation etc.
I rarely have to look for anything in the menus with the the shortcuts I have setup, and for the rest I can usually get by with voice commands.
same people everytime

Supa Koopa

Mar 13, 2022
Unfortunately an internal SatNav was never going to be as good as a app based one that can be updated much more frequently, and it’s maps continuously. Perhaps that can change now as OTA updates become the norm and allow more frequent updates to an internal based system. Or the internal system effectively evolves to become an app.
Unfortunately I don't agree. The internal sat nav in the Audi S3 I had was Google maps based so was constantly updated and had live traffic redirection and was integrated into the virtual dashboard, so it is possible. It was frankly brilliant and much better than any other system I've had including the BMW professional series.

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
Unfortunately I don't agree. The internal sat nav in the Audi S3 I had was Google maps based so was constantly updated and had live traffic redirection and was integrated into the virtual dashboard, so it is possible. It was frankly brilliant and much better than any other system I've had including the BMW professional series.
Erm, isn’t that what I said - except that it’s already here? So if Audi were doing it years ago, why arent the rest of the VAG brands?

Hizzards

Aug 19, 2021
Two button presses every time you drive the car.
Drive to the shops... 2 presses. Drive home... Two presses. Stop for fuel on the way back... Another two presses... Forget to do it and only notice whilst driving? Now you're making a 2 press adjustment to settings on the infotainment screen whilst driving, as opposed to a simple button as previous which probably could be located without taking your eyes off the road.

It's tedious, and quite simply shouldn't be required. Every other car we've had recently in the household has remembered the setting. It's these little niggles which spoil the experience, and which I suspect the OP is referring to.

I have no idea why you have to take your eyes off the road. It’s honestly a bit worrying. Do you take your eyes off the road press the horn?

Press button on end of stalk
Press OK with button on steering wheel

Done. I’ve always managed to keep my eyes in the road but from reading some posts here I must have Super Powers.

Starting and stopping the car every time you get in must be a real chore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
The whole original post was related to using the infotainment for everything. So yes.

Hizzards

Aug 19, 2021
The whole original post was related to using the infotainment for everything. So yes.

Right. And turning off lane departure has nothing to do with the infotainment, so your post was irrelevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supa Koopa

Mar 13, 2022
Erm, isn’t that what I said - except that it’s already here? So if Audi were doing it years ago, why arent the rest of the VAG brands?
Not exactly no, you said;

'Unfortunately an internal SatNav was never going to be as good as a app based one that can be updated much more frequently, and it’s maps continuously. Perhaps that can change now as OTA updates become the norm and allow more frequent updates to an internal based system. Or the internal system effectively evolves to become an app.'

Therefore implying that no internal system could be as good as an app based one, I replied by saying the the internal Audi one was as good as any app based one I've used. So sort of the same but then also not. :ROFLMAO: I want to use the internal one in the Formentor but I just don't like it. I find it's routes are questionable and the traffic information not as good as others, so I'm forced to use my phone. I'd just prefer to use an internal integrated system where possible and this is the first car in the last 5 I'm not doing that. Luckily I have a choice I suppose.

As for why it's not being used in the rest of the VAG brands I'd say it has to be down to cost. When you buy a cheap Chinese copy of something it never quite works as well as the original. :LOL:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.