advice on cambelt for cupra 300 17 plate

LukeBlueCupraLeon

Apr 17, 2022
Peterborough
Hi Guys,

I hope that your all well?

I have a question, I have got the cars major service coming up next month. Its 5 years since it was new and SEAT Peterborough told me that meant I would need to get the cambelt done. As a sceptical motorist who is always trying to make sure he isn't getting shafted I wanted to check the going rate for the cambelt change. They quoted me £639 for cambelt and water pump. I also wanted to check there was a cambelt and its not chain driven as I cant seem to get a straight answer when I look on here and google so yeah just after some advice.

Many Thanks!

(apologies if there is a thread and I have missed it)

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
Hi Guys,

I hope that your all well?

I have a question, I have got the cars major service coming up next month. Its 5 years since it was new and SEAT Peterborough told me that meant I would need to get the cambelt done. As a sceptical motorist who is always trying to make sure he isn't getting shafted I wanted to check the going rate for the cambelt change. They quoted me £639 for cambelt and water pump. I also wanted to check there was a cambelt and its not chain driven as I cant seem to get a straight answer when I look on here and google so yeah just after some advice.

Many Thanks!

(apologies if there is a thread and I have missed it)
There is no cambelt on ea888 engines 😶🌫️

Reactions: LukeBlueCupraLeon

jdubya

May 30, 2017
South West
If a genuine Seat dealer doesn’t know if your engine is chain or belt driven then I know I wouldn’t trust them as far as I could throw them! They are clearly only in it for the money so I would research a good local VAG independent and entrustthem with your beastie.

Reactions: Jay5959

jt20vt

Sep 17, 2010
There is an auxiliary belt on the cupra that connects with the alternator i got the Continental contitech 6pk1130 v-ribbed belt/ serpentine belt that is discussed on deutsche auto parts youtube channel. Lots of info regards mk7 golf gti and R around. Was advised in year 5 to change on my cupra st 4drive. Might be they were referring to this belt...

LukeBlueCupraLeon

Apr 17, 2022
Peterborough
There is an auxiliary belt on the cupra that connects with the alternator i got the Continental contitech 6pk1130 v-ribbed belt/ serpentine belt that is discussed on deutsche auto parts youtube channel. Lots of info regards mk7 golf gti and R around. Was advised in year 5 to change on my cupra st 4drive. Might be they were referring to this belt...
Is that a £639 job?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Only if you are willing to pay for it.

I think about replacing the auxiliary belt on my wife's August 2015 VW Polo sometimes, but I'll probably leave it until I've handed it in to get its cam belt changed.
I would have thought that 5 years is a bit early for an auxiliary belt needing replacing, though it depends on the mileage run so far. A simple good examination of that auxiliary belt will let you know if it is still okay, I'd think that 8 years or 50K miles is where it should get replaced.

jt20vt

Sep 17, 2010
No not a £639 job. Just re-read your post and they wanted to charge for the waterpump which is not connected with the aux belt so they have no clue. The cupra is chain driven as others have said. Most don't own the car long enough or have enough miles on it to see it ever changed. Like the bigger engine audi's they do need doing as the miles get high.

Reactions: LukeBlueCupraLeon