Aerial Removal

Robin84

I've got a stubby one! But more about that later.

I am looking to replace my current aerial with this stubby but how on earth do I remove it?

I have unscrewed it to put it in the down position ala car wash mode but can't seem to get the bugger off.

Any advice??

Cheers,

Robs

dholdi

Jul 3, 2008
Preston
It needs a real good tug. I tried getting mine off a few times and gave up thinking i was going to damage something, then one day I tried again and off it popped. I kind of applied some pull to it and wiggled it side to side then pulled hard if that makes sense.

Robin84

[edit] Just realised I didn't say cheers for replying. So, cheers![/edit]

So does the screw come out with it?

Will have a play tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

PCIronmike

I've just changed mine , what I did was unscrew it as far as it would go and lay it flat on the roof with two microfibre cloths under it , then I wedged the open end of a small spanner between the base of the aerial and the bottom of the mast itself where you can see the screw part and just gently levered it apart , it will pop apart with ease , if its stuck spray a little WD40 around the screw part , all will be apparent when its removed , you will see the metal mushroom shape on the bottom of the screw end , its an anti theft idea , good but a pain in the rear. Make sure you don't tug it off , I've seen people do this on Golf's and dent their roofs around the aerial base , Oh and don't forget the cloths to protect your paint. Typical V.W. though .
Regards
Paul.

hypopsycho

D'ya wanna go faster?
Jan 12, 2010
York
One thing I will say, I did this with mine, can't stand the whip (ooh err), however the reception is terrible now, even if I put the original aerial back on, tried a few different chrome jobbies from different sources, including my current £2.99 TK Maxx (classy ) effort. Not that I listen to the radio anyway, just bugs me........:cry: Looks way better, mind you, someone is bound to nick it, they even nicked the plastic valve caps once.... but my chrome ones have been on 6 months!lol Oh and the car wash ripped my first one off.........:censored:

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
I recommend the flexi one from the civic typeR/S2000... reception is great on mine!

hypopsycho

D'ya wanna go faster?
Jan 12, 2010
York
yeah I was looking at that one, prefer a chrome one though, call me shallow...lol Anyone know if the brass ones are any good, seen those on ebay.

Ash_238

Aug 25, 2009
One thing I will say, I did this with mine, can't stand the whip (ooh err), however the reception is terrible now, even if I put the original aerial back on. Not that I listen to the radio anyway, just bugs me........:cry:

Have you got an aftermarket HU fitted?

If so have you fitted the aftermarket Aerial booster...

PCIronmike

I've got a Sony H/U and a stubby aerial fitted and the radio reception is as good as ever .