Aftermarket Stereo Power

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
I’m having issues with an aftermarket stereo.

I put a pioneer single din in, used a wiring harness and switched the red and yellow around so it remembers the stations. First 3 weeks was fine but I’ve since started with intermittent power issues. Sometimes it will power on with the car, sometimes it won’t. More recently it hasn’t. So try turning the car on and off a few times and it usually works again, but it’s clearly ‘reset’ with the clock showing 00:00 again and the stations reset.

I thought it was a stereo fault initially, and with Halfords detecting power on the wiring harness, they swapped it for a new one which I installed yesterday. It worked yesterday but again this morning it didn’t turn on, so now this leads me to think it’s an issue with the car.

Does anyone have any experience with this or any advice? It’s doing my nut in driving to work in silence!

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Was the previous stereo ok?
Possible to get two faulty new stereos in theory. You could try buying any old cheap £5 stereo off eBay and seeing if that does the same?

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Was the previous stereo ok?
Possible to get two faulty new stereos in theory. You could try buying any old cheap £5 stereo off eBay and seeing if that does the same?

I didn’t have the original stereo in long but I didn’t notice any issues with it.

2 faulty stereos is a possibility I guess but it seems very unlikely. I have another stereo in a different car so I’ll have to try that and see what happens!

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
I bought a kenwood which worked for 3 months. Then started loosing channels. Now can’t find one channel. (DAB)
Originally comparable, on their website it’s now not comparable.
No idea what the F... happened there. I now have a dead stereo and no music. I’ve given up.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
So this morning I turned the ignition on, stereo started up fine. I then started the car, stereo went off, then nothing.

I’m thinking that it must be an issue with the electrical system on the car. Other reasons why - the previous owner (who had the car from new) told me when I bought it that it was on the original battery. Also, I’ve noticed that the headlights dim when using electrical things like windows. So I’m either point towards the battery or alternator, or both maybe?

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Use a multimeter to measure at the battery both with the engine running and without it. It should be around 12 volts with engine off and 13.4 volts with the engine running.

Homer Simpson

May 12, 2014
^This.

Multimeter is the best way to see what is coming out of the wires with ignition on, off and engine on

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.