ages to warm up

mazter2001uk

hi all, i have recentley been noticing that my car takes ages to warm up, i dont floor it till its upto tempature (90), my mate has a lcr and this warms up in half the time and when mine is warmed the needle stays a millimeter over 90, why:confused:

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Overfilled engine oil?

Mine doesn't start warming up till I use the 2.5k-3k rev range. Then its straight upto temp.

wackyracer

Wackyracer
May 12, 2007
Southampton
if its cold sometimes mine never gets more than about half way between o and 90 c. I have now traced this back toa faulty thermostat - was staying open all the time!

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
hi all, i have recentley been noticing that my car takes ages to warm up, i dont floor it till its upto tempature (90), my mate has a lcr and this warms up in half the time and when mine is warmed the needle stays a millimeter over 90, why:confused:

dont floor the car mate when it hits 90. its coolant.
oil takes a good 10 mins to heat up to operating temp.

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
10 minutes seems a bit excessive to me.

modern engine oils arent like they used to be :confused:

Last edited:

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
10 minutes seems a bit excessive to me.

modern engine oils arent like they used to be :confused:

fit an oil temp gauge as i have... it takes much longer to heat up than coolant. when coolant hits 90 your oil may only be around 20-40c ... modern oils fair point but im not ragging mine until its at normal operating temp.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
yes mines a bit over 90. 91-92. as long as it stays the same its ok.

its when it hits 120c and an alarm sounds you need to worry;)

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
No - the TDI's take a little while to warm up - nothing to worry about - my Ibiza used to take about this time.

It's due to the efficiency of the engine - they don't produce much heat - at idle my Ibiza couldn't even keep the heaters hot if the fans were on full blast

Mike Green

Cupra crazy
May 4, 2007
Surrey
Yeah mine is always smack on 90 degs. Varies - in the cold snap we have just had it takes near on 10 mins to warm up, but usually no more than 5 mins with revs below 3k.

Obviously if you are stuck in traffic and not really revving the car atall this will take longer to warm. I would say anything over 10 mins to hit 90deg is a bit too long, there may will be little probs as discussed above already.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.