Air con not cold - tried regas no success...?

Par

Mar 22, 2004
Fife
At the risk of sounding stupid have you switched the AC button on?

Reason I say that as I have only had my MY10 for a month and for the last couple of days have been thinking the air coming from the vent wasnt very cold in these warm temps we have been having and was starting to think about a re-gas.

I then switched the AC button on manually and the air coming from the vents was ice cold! I had played about with the HI & LO setting on AUTO which didnt seem to make a difference, thinking that AUTO switched on the AC automatically as every other Climate control system I have had.

Every other system I have had switched the AC on by default which you could then switch off however this system in AUTO seems to retain the memory of AC on or off.

webwysard

Nov 15, 2011
North West
At the risk of sounding stupid have you switched the AC button on?

Reason I say that as I have only had my MY10 for a month and for the last couple of days have been thinking the air coming from the vent wasnt very cold in these warm temps we have been having and was starting to think about a re-gas.

I then switched the AC button on manually and the air coming from the vents was ice cold! I had played about with the HI & LO setting on AUTO which didnt seem to make a difference, thinking that AUTO switched on the AC automatically as every other Climate control system I have had.

Every other system I have had switched the AC on by default which you could then switch off however this system in AUTO seems to retain the memory of AC on or off.

Lol yes it comes on when on Auto but I did turn it on manually as well and played with the temps and different air direction settings just to make sure that I'm not missing something.

webwysard

Nov 15, 2011
North West
Just rang my local dealer and they say that if its gas then they will charge me for that otherwise everything else is covered under warrranty.

The car is under 2years old so before handing over my hard earned I want to be sure its not going down the drain and everything including re gas is covered under warranty.

And if its not covered how much is the going rate and does it need to be done at the dealership or any independent can do it for less £££.

Going away mid next week so needs this sorted asap.

Please advice.

I just put it on 'LO' and 'ECON' is not on, so im assuming that means AC is on, there is no AC button on the 2005-2009 models...?

Oddly, I noticed after about 30 mins of driving the air con was pushing out fairly cold air today... How strange?!

Si

Southern MoFo!
Aug 21, 2003
Bournemouth
www.westover.org.uk
I'm having issues too. Had it re-gased but no cold air coming from the vents. I'll have to plug VDCS to check if the compressor is running. Rev's seem to change when pressing the ECON button on and off.

Can anyone tell me the block no to look at on VDCS?

Thanks.

Last edited:

webwysard

Nov 15, 2011
North West
Can someone please confirm that re gasing the compressor is covered under warranty ?

My car is gonna be 2yrs old in June if that makes any differnce.

Spoke to Seat customer service today and they say any wear and tear items will be chargeable and that means re-gas I believe.

Bought the car last Dec and the A/C didnt work when I tried it first time couple of weeks ago. Thinking about ringing the suppling dealer as it came with this issue.

Just to add that I can't hear the compressor kick in when the A/C being turned on.

So please please let me know if anyone has this issue resolved without paying under warranty.

Thanks

Last edited:

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
When my aircon wasnt working last month i was told that:

If it ONLY needed a regas then it would be charged

However, if the compressor was faulty, pressure switch, gas cylinder had a hole in etc, i.e there was a faulty part, that would be covered under warranty and a regas carried out for free.

My pressure switch had gone on my 60 plate 1.2TSi, i have also had the compressor changed too, all covered under warranty and then also regassed

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
If your car needs a regas then you have a leak !
The system used is a hermattic sealed system , so if you lose has there is a leak and should not be charged for a regas under warranty.
If they charge you argue the toss !
A regas isn't a matter of just putting more gas in , they should recover the old charge if there is anything left , vacuum the system out to remove moisture , and if they suspect a leak put a very small charge in and perform their leak check routine , when they are happy about that then they should charge fully.
If they simply just charge the system with more gas and there is a leak and it escapes into the atmosphere then they are breaking the law and are open to large fines.

They have to account for all refrigerant they use.

silver surfer

Mar 31, 2006
out there over the edge vw tech
Aircon systems are not totaly sealed there is an allowance for seal leakage.The seals are lubricated by the oil in the system and lack of use allows leakage past the seals. VAG recommend service of system every 2 years which is why gas loss due to seapage is not covered by warranty.But your compressor and other componants should be.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Aircon systems are not totaly sealed there is an allowance for seal leakage.The seals are lubricated by the oil in the system and lack of use allows leakage past the seals. VAG recommend service of system every 2 years which is why gas loss due to seapage is not covered by warranty.But your compressor and other componants should be.

Seal leakage is less than 5grams a year which is bugger all , in a system the size of an automotive air con system , and is not classed as a leak.
I'm sorry mate but don't agree with what you say , having it serviced every 2 years due to gas loss can't be true , yes there wil be some leakage but based on what you have said that would be that the ozone alone woe be depleted by car air con systems !

webwysard

Nov 15, 2011
North West
Ok the aircon compressor has been regased and they couldn't detect any leaks so I ended up paying £69 :( but they said that they have replaced one of the 3amp fuse due to a recall but the service advisor didn't have any knowledge what that was for.

One thing that I dont understand that on the invoice they put down aircon service which was due this coming June instead of putting down a gas recharge and as they replaced a fuse which they say was due to recall I'm thinking that it(fuse) had something to do with the aircon and thats why the aircon wasn't working and to make money they changed the fuse.

Has anyone had this same fuse replaced due to a recall ?. The fuse number on the invoice is 94F7 but google doesn't bring up anything.

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
Not alot of help to you mate but my car had a recall to change a fuse and my dealer told me it was for the lighting circuit!
My dealer doesn't seem to give me any paperwork for whats been done! Then again I know why that is,
Its usually because they ain't done anything.

Last edited:

Lee M

If the pressure switch has failed the compressor won't kick in, so you won't know if it's working or not. switch failed on our 08 plate Leon when it was about 18 months old, replaced under warranty. tech said it was a common failure.

This happened to mine mate, after my THS FMIC rubbed a hole in my AC heat exchanger! The switch failed after the garage replaced my exchanger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Ok the aircon compressor has been regased and they couldn't detect any leaks so I ended up paying £69 :( but they said that they have replaced one of the 3amp fuse due to a recall but the service advisor didn't have any knowledge what that was for.

One thing that I dont understand that on the invoice they put down aircon service which was due this coming June instead of putting down a gas recharge and as they replaced a fuse which they say was due to recall I'm thinking that it(fuse) had something to do with the aircon and thats why the aircon wasn't working and to make money they changed the fuse.

Has anyone had this same fuse replaced due to a recall ?. The fuse number on the invoice is 94F7 but google doesn't bring up anything.

Is your aircon working now?

Well folks, mine went into SEAT, turns out it's the compressor! Would have cost around £970 all in, I do have a warranty (thankfully!) which was for 3 months after buying the car, but they will only pay £400 maximum towards the work.
It's going to an Independant VW Tech, will cost £600, so i'll still have to fork out £200 but better than paying more at the main dealership.

Typical!

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location

does your service sheet say how much refrigerant was recovered?
and how much new gas they put in?

this will show if you have had a leak , if the difference was bugger all you have your answer.

webwysard

Nov 15, 2011
North West
Is your aircon working now?

Yes its working fine.

does your service sheet say how much refrigerant was recovered?
and how much new gas they put in?

this will show if you have had a leak , if the difference was bugger all you have your answer.

I wasn't given any service sheet it was just an invoice for aircon service.

What I meant to say in my earlier post that maybe the fuse they replaced due to a recall caused the aircon not working so they regassed the compressor and charged me for it and then replaced the fuse saying that it was due to a recall and they dont know what that was for.

So if someone ring their dealership and ask if there is any recall of this fuse then it will become more clear if that fuse had anything to do with the aircon.

Update - Air con now ice cold after new compressor fitted!

Mechanic said use a genuine compressor as the pattern ones also fail quite often! (He didn't say it to make money either as there was only a £20 difference in price!)

msc5

As Jimbo pointed out... I thought there was a problem with mine - not ever getting cold, until I discovered pressing the recirculation button did the job. D'oh!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.