Air Con

chumsofmanutd

Jun 23, 2008
Staffordshire
Right...Had my air con gassed a couple of months ago. All was well to start off with but gradually the system has deteriorated with virtually no cold air being blown out anymore. This makes me think their is a leak in a pipe or somewhere else in the system. I have searched on the forum but can't really find anywhere that says which pipes or parts are particularly prone to leaking. Where have people found leaks in the past?
Thanks

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Right...Had my air con gassed a couple of months ago. All was well to start off with but gradually the system has deteriorated with virtually no cold air being blown out anymore. This makes me think their is a leak in a pipe or somewhere else in the system. I have searched on the forum but can't really find anywhere that says which pipes or parts are particularly prone to leaking. Where have people found leaks in the past?
Thanks

best way is to speak to the aircon agent, they have various ways but adding a dye that when leaking stands out under uv light is the most popular
plus that way they can check pressures etc first

there is a lot involved in the system and no real common faults/leaks sadly

chumsofmanutd

Jun 23, 2008
Staffordshire
I'm pretty sure that they added the dye when I had it re gassed but I can't see anything obvious to the naked eye. I've ordered a UV light to see if that helps me to see anything. Where should I look for the dye?

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
pretty much everywhere there's a pipe to be honest, the pic will show the basics of the pipes (usually silver)

radiator is at the front
pipes to pump/compressor on engine
around engine bay
connector on bulkhead for heater connection

260410.png

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
doesn't show it all in real detail but once you find a major part or two it's easy enough to follow around

right pain and get in the way for any other job :)

reminds me i must put mine back together

chumsofmanutd

Jun 23, 2008
Staffordshire
Right...after looking at the system in more detail I've found a couple of places with refrigerent oil on the pipes so think I have found some of the leaks. The bolts seem to be tight so the seal's must of perished. Anyone know if its possible to get a seal kit for the system?

scott99

Yea pain in the backside unions are for leaking! Yea just watch out if your charging it yourself coz if you undercharge youll knacker your compressor up and if you overcharge youll knacker your compressor up lol.

chumsofmanutd

Jun 23, 2008
Staffordshire
Nah its OK, I'm getting it re charged at my mates garage. Going to replace as many of the unions as I can and also use a 'sealer product' which is supposed to seal any small leaks and re vitalalise the o rings before it gets re charged. I don't think there is any leaking around the evaporator so I'm going to leave those o rings as they are more difficult to get to.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.